What kind of parties do you guys have?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ice109
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
41 replies · 7K views
ice109
Messages
1,708
Reaction score
6
what physicists and mathematicians and engineers do at parties?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Drink. A *lot*. And then play Mao. Do you guys here know Mao?

...then we drink more.

Sometimes we drink and play Texas Hold Em.
 
Mallignamius said:
Spin the electron?

Lol that's classic!:smile:
 
When someone asks a question not expecting a real answer, it gets answered to the point where you never get invited back..
 
Just yesterday I went to a party where we basically just watched a movie and drank. Oh, and one person baked a pizza, folded it in half, and ate the whole thing (only a physicist would do that). Unfortunately I didn't drink...but only because I had already drunk at the bowling alley earlier. And we were kind enough to invite two of the evil mathematics grad students.

So there's an example of how physics grad students party. But as far as I know, the undergrads just drink, same as everyone else.
 
russ_watters said:
Physicists are, of course, the best pool players around...
Only in theory. :biggrin:

Engineers just drink.
One of my friends who is married to an engineer says they fall into two categories, either nerds or drunks. :smile: I decided not to ask which he thinks his wife is since I've never seen her drink. :biggrin:

I haven't noticed much difference in the parties thrown by scientists and non-scientists, though philosophers are very interesting when drunk (that is, when I'M drunk...well, and they are too :rolleyes:...I got trapped into conversation by one at a party once, and it was the only time she ever made sense to me).
 
ice109 said:
lame...

Welcome to the exciting world of physics. :rolleyes:
 
arunma said:
Welcome to the exciting world of physics. :rolleyes:

physics is exciting, inebriation is not
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: gracy
ice109 said:
physics is exciting, inebriation is not

I agree. I can't remember the last time I got drunk. Basically the complicated and difficult rule of thumb for drinking socially without getting drunk is "don't be an idiot." But hey, if you want to hang out with physicists and not drink, that's fine too. This isn't high school, after all, and physicists are just cool that way.
 
In my undergraduate years, we (my circle of friends--mostly goths and punks) used to have "porn and 40s" parties. Everyone had to come dressed as something perverted (pimps, prositutes, flashers, S&M enthusiasts, etc.), and the only thing to drink was bottles of 40 ounce malt liquor in paper bags. Awwww ye-ahhhhh.
 
My friends and I used to hold "punch parties" when things got dull. Your entry into the party could be a bottle of wine, a bottle of tequila, gin, rum, whiskey, etc, or a gallon of cider, fruit juice, or similar. I'd supply the stereo and at least a starter of vodka or rum for the punch and things would generally progress for a happy (police free) all-night party.
 
the things is though that the alcohol is only a lubricant and not an activity?
 
I either get together with my girlfriend, wash clothes, listen to music or play word games on weekend nights. Yes, I'm 48.

I once called a double bank shot (lengthwise) using reversed spin, finally knocking the object ball (wedged against the second rail) into its neighboring pocket.
 
turbo-1 said:
My friends and I used to hold "punch parties" when things got dull. Your entry into the party could be a bottle of wine, a bottle of tequila, gin, rum, whiskey, etc, or a gallon of cider, fruit juice, or similar. I'd supply the stereo and at least a starter of vodka or rum for the punch and things would generally progress for a happy (police free) all-night party.

We had parties like that, we would use an empty clean plastic garbage can with a few big chunks of ice and fill it with whatever people brought. We called them Wopatooly parties.
 
I once held a Mars party. We watched a TV show about the Mars exploration crafts then looked at Mars and Jupiter and few other sights through three of my telescopes. We had orange frosted cake, and other Mars related snacks. I have a friend who is a recovered alcoholic, so I don't serve alcohol.

We helped set up a weekend party where everyone had to bring something to a beachhouse that was star related as their entry ticket. There were star themed snacks, star themed word games, space themed videos to watch, etc.
 
Unfortunately, I am a social retard in real life, so that would be a no.
 
Moridin said:
Unfortunately, I am a social retard in real life, so that would be a no.

you're missing out. social interaction is a wonderful part of life that should be pursued for its own sake just like science. i implore to check it out
 
mathwonk said:
what parties?

Just to be clear, he's a mathematician. :smile:
 
arunma said:
Just to be clear, he's a mathematician. :smile:

Just to be clear, I was a Chemical Engineering student with lots of friends in Liberal Arts, and our parties were designed to encourage floor-sleeping for non-residents, and I would get up early to cook eggs, bacon, etc for folks, with copious amounts of coffee to help them launch into their days. In the late 1960's/early 1970's this was pretty standard party protocol.
 
arunma said:
But hey, if you want to hang out with physicists and not drink, that's fine too. This isn't high school, after all, and physicists are just cool that way.
Very true. Well, generally, just being adults works for that too.

turbo-1 said:
My friends and I used to hold "punch parties" when things got dull. Your entry into the party could be a bottle of wine, a bottle of tequila, gin, rum, whiskey, etc, or a gallon of cider, fruit juice, or similar. I'd supply the stereo and at least a starter of vodka or rum for the punch and things would generally progress for a happy (police free) all-night party.
Sounds like a hangover in a bucket, or worse!

I did go to a March Madness party once (neuroscientists and computer geeks, not physicists, in attendance...I'm not a physicist and have only recently begun hanging around with some :wink:) where we watched old Simpsons episodes while eating lots of snackfood everyone brought (dips, chips, etc.) and only realized later we never bothered to watch the game. :biggrin:

Playing pool, card games, or making up new rules to board games is fun too. Some have dancing. Oh, or there was the one picnic/party where we played Calvin ball (you have to check out the old Calvin and Hobbes comic strips if you don't know what I'm talking about). And then there were the pool parties with skinny dipping after dark. (I think the physicists need to learn something from us biologists about how to throw a good party. :biggrin:)
 
all these responces to a thread i made on a whim and no responces to the thread I am actually curious about :(
 
You never know what threads will take off around here.
 
Moonbear said:
Very true. Well, generally, just being adults works for that too.


Sounds like a hangover in a bucket, or worse!

I did go to a March Madness party once (neuroscientists and computer geeks, not physicists, in attendance...I'm not a physicist and have only recently begun hanging around with some :wink:) where we watched old Simpsons episodes while eating lots of snackfood everyone brought (dips, chips, etc.) and only realized later we never bothered to watch the game. :biggrin:

Playing pool, card games, or making up new rules to board games is fun too. Some have dancing. Oh, or there was the one picnic/party where we played Calvin ball (you have to check out the old Calvin and Hobbes comic strips if you don't know what I'm talking about). And then there were the pool parties with skinny dipping after dark. (I think the physicists need to learn something from us biologists about how to throw a good party. :biggrin:)
Not guaranteed to be a hangover party. I used to play rhythm/lead guitar and sing in some rock/blues bands that were pretty popular around campus and we could crank some rock and blues without drawing the cops (small amps, hot guitars).
 
We used to do parties that were heard miles away - on Rice Campus in the middle of Houston. We took 8 Advent Speakers stacked in Quad with Phase Linear Pre-amp and Amp set. We had to ice the heat sink :smile: - and we'd Rock out with various Albums. :-p

These days I prefer quieter gatherings. :-p
 
My late friend, Alan, had in his basement 24 large Advent speakers stacked alternately three high (12 on a side), driven by two MacIntosh 2300 amps, conservatively rated at 4 x 350 watts total.

Great place to burn out in those wild days. The bass could saw you in half - or knock you down - without the treble damaging hearing. He would play only rock albums of high quality recording.