1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What master's degree should I take?

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1
    I’m studying Industrial Engineering but it seems that I have nothing specific and it’s just about everything. I could say that it’s more mechanics related but we don’t study so specifically like mechanical engineers. That’s why I have some concerns about what these studies are making me. I don’t really know what I want besides that I like physics and would want to pursue a career in engineering.
    What would be the best choice for my master's degree? Would physics fit? I guess I want physics because I'm afraid to choose anything specific like seeking deeper understanding in the same field as my major. But maybe Industrial Engineering + Physics would make lots of nothing. It's like If I worked as a scientist in some lab what good would there be from my IE degree.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2012 #2
    I'd advice against "I don't want to do anything specific". At some point you'll be looking for jobs. Jobs are very specific. And from experience with a lot of former colleagues, the "in time I will realize what I really want to do"-hope that usually accompanies "I don't want to do anything specific" usually doesn't come true for physicists, not even after a PhD in physics. You can as well make an educated guess of your future path now.

4. Dec 9, 2012 #3
    Generally speaking, one should simply know what he really wants. The problem is that there are very little people who know that and I'm not one of them. A friend of mine has known what she wants since school and she is naturally motivated about every choice regarding her career path. Another thing is that sometimes people realize what they want or what they don't want after they have graduated. So I guess we can never know even though we still have to make choices and hope for the best. I chose my major optimally based on what is perspective and what I think I like, If I don't find for sure I'll decide on my master the same way.

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4
    You can get a job with just a Bachelor's in Industrial Engineering, no? Why not go work first and figure out what you want to do a Master's in later? You'll probably even get a good portion of the cost of the degree covered by the company you work for. You "like physics and want to pursue a career in engineering." Seems like you can get started on that now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook