What Material Should I Use for a Dry Ice Container in a DIY Portable AC?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
shadowblade
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello. As you can see, I'm new here.
I have a little experience in physics and I've taken through Calc 2 in college.

I'm trying to build a portable air conditioning unit. My current design consists of a tub of water with a 6" cube-shaped container of some kind submerged in it containing dry ice, then pumping the water through a used heater core and using a fan to move air from around the core.

My problem is what material to use for the container for the dry ice - I need to pick one with the highest possible thermal conductivity without allowing the water to freeze. (Also it has to be one I can buy online or in a store for relatively cheap and manipulate easily)

I don't know how to manipulate thermal conductivity data to determine which material will work best here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use some type of metal container. Then adjust the flow rate of the water: fast enough so that it does not freeze, slow enough so that it is cooled sufficiently.