Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Motor do I need for this small clinostat?

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I am constructing a clinostat for an Experimental biochemistry research project. Physics is not my forte, and as such I would like advice on what type of low torque motor I need to rotate an 85g cylinder at ~60rpm. A diagram of the design I am using can be found here:
    https://imgur.com/a/gJL4S

The cylinder is 15mm in diameter, with a length of 92.5 mm. The material composition is glass, with plastic ends. I have a project budget of several hundred dollars, but would like to minimize costs where possible.

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2

etudiant

Gold Member

The design shown has 4 cylinders, so four small motors or one larger one?
    Note that 60 RPM is very slow for most small motors, so a step down gear will be needed.
    The key issue is how long your experiments need to run.
    Small motors are dirt cheap, but they are not designed to run 24/7 for a month, which is what I'd think a biology experiment might need.
    My guess is small pump motors for aquariums might have the needed durability.
    Do note that the weight of the cylinder is not that critical, as long as it is evenly distributed. If the cylinder is unevenly filled, the motor has to work much harder.

4. Oct 22, 2014 #3

Danger

Gold Member

This might, for any number of reasons, be an overly simplistic answer, but... could you just use an electric clock with a pulley screwed onto the minute-hand shaft?

5. Oct 24, 2014 #4
    You need a small DC gear motor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook