What? No Star Wars review yet?

In summary: To give us a better idea of what kind of movie you like, can you give a brief description of why you hated episodes 1 and 2? Lack of plot? Lack of action? Stupid plot? Too much time spent on insignificant events (1 hour pod race)?Do you like movies that are driven by characters, action, or plot?
ShadowKnight
I wasn't going to see this for a few weeks but was REALLY bored at work and there's a theater down the street. Go figure...

If you liked the original Star Wars, even if you hated 1 & 2 (like I did!) SEE this one. It is dark and violent. There is no stupid Jar Jar kind of humor device, in fact you will rarely laugh watching this. It ties up perfectly between the old and new SW movies. I think the ONLY reason this didn't get a rating of R is simply because most of the violence is aimed toward droids, no blood is shown, etc. Other wise the violence in this movie push it much closer to R

Anyway, see it - on the big screen if you can. Remember this is coming from someone who disliked Ep1, hated Ep2 and was going to wait at least a month to see this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice to hear somebody likes it.

To give us a better idea of what kind of movie you like, can you give a brief description of why you hated episodes 1 and 2? Lack of plot? Lack of action? Stupid plot? Too much time spent on insignificant events (1 hour pod race)?
Do you like movies that are driven by characters, action, or plot?

I went to an early morning showing- no way I was waiting in line for hours. But I guess star wars folks aren't morning people, because the imax was half empty. Anyhow, on to the show...

Basically it was a really good movie. One of the best if not THE best of the series. The last two were horrible, but this one really shines through. The first half hour is excellent, the middle is bleh, and the end is action packed. I'd recommend it. The battle scenes were spectacular, the duels were breathtaking, and the CG was very realistic. With that said, this movie suffers from horrible dialogue. George can make yoda do amazing things, but the dialogue was extremely weak. The love scenes are roll your eyes corny. And Christensen can't sell it for the life of him. Mcgregor is probably the best thing in this. The way the plot is scripted for Vader's his turn to the dark side is kind of clunky, but maybe that's because I didn't even buy that he was in love. However the way everything ties into the series is flawless. The one thing I hated was the reason padme dies. It was pretty lame.

Overall I'd say 3.5/5 stars- the action really is the saving grace

I SO don't want to see this movie, the fact that it is violent and action packed convinces me even more :devil:

I'm going to see it next Tueday :biggrin:

I loved the original ones, I wasn't too enthousiastic about Episode I, but I liked Episode II very much. I can't see what anyone could have against it...

ShawnD said:
Nice to hear somebody likes it.

To give us a better idea of what kind of movie you like, can you give a brief description of why you hated episodes 1 and 2? Lack of plot? Lack of action? Stupid plot? Too much time spent on insignificant events (1 hour pod race)?
Do you like movies that are driven by characters, action, or plot?

Where to start with why I didn't like 1 and 2 very much. Need I mention Jar Jar Binks? :rolleyes: A factor of things I guess when all rolled together. I need to give Ep2 a break because of the CG and fighting scenes. In all fariness I should clarify that I didn't hate Ep2, was just disappointed in it. I have both on DVD anyway like a good consumer. I think I'll use your wording of too much time spent on insignicant events. The plot was OK, the plot delivery was horrible. Admittedly in Ep3 the dialogue was better. My ONE gripe with p3 is that the grown up Christian Haydenson reminds me so much of Ashton Kutcher, at times I was almost expecting that stupid grin of his!

I prefer Action movies to be driven by action - they don't need to make much sense but if they do its a plus. Comedies need to be driven by characters and events. Dramas and epics (like Star Wars & Lord of the Rings) need to be driven by plot & characters. I suspect that some of my greivances with ep1 & ep2 fall in line with that - when a lot of your main characters are not real actors. In this one there is a LOT of CG but you will find that almost all main characters are real actors this time.

Oh and for the record General Grevious is freaking cool!

Last edited:
Dimitri Terryn said:
I can't see what anyone could have against it...
I am a bit tired of all these star wars movies or any movie that has a plot around fighting a war. I rather spend my money on independent movies, the other week I watched Bin-Jip.. something original.

Could you follow the plot of this one without having seen I & II? I saw the original Star Wars back in the 70s when they first came out, but had kinda outgrown my enthusiasm by the time Ep I was made. Since I heard bad things I never bothered. I might see this one on your sayso if you think I could follow the plot.

You wouldn't know who the characters were if you don't know about Ep 1 & 2. Granted it could still be an entertaining action flick but you'd get lost simply by not knowing who people are, where they fit in the story, etc. I realize that 1 & 2 (especially 1) were slow stories in that they had to build character backgrounds where as Ep 4, 5 & 6 just throw you into a movie where you don't know the characters but Lucas developed them throughout.

BTW - I am not a huge Star Wars fan but I AM a huge movie fan...

Thanks for the explanation. I'll be sure to see episode 3 :biggrin:

Several critics have said you don't really need Ep1&Ep2 to follow Ep3.
Here's a list of the characters you may not be familiar with:
Chancellor Palpatine (Palpy among non-existent friends)-The only relatively intelligent person in the series, the future Galactic Emperor
Anakin Skywalker-Dumb guy who doesn't understand he's being duped by Palpy
Obi-Wan Kenobi-Dumb guy who doesn't understand he's being duped by Palpy
Mace Windu-Not so dumb guy who hazily begins to understand he's being duped by Palpy
Yoda-Senile green thing who doesn't understand he's being duped by Palpy
Padme Amidala-woman who manages to break up the homo-erotic bonding between Anakin and Obi-Wan, only to see him rush into the arms of..(guess who)

Last edited:
ShadowKnight said:
BTW - I am not a huge Star Wars fan but I AM a huge movie fan...
Same here. If a movie is good (well made) I will generally enjoy it whether or not I'm into the fad from which it springs.

Last edited:
Homo-erotic bonding? Blasphemy!

Well, they frolick just as much in space together as hobbits frolick in the Shire..

Hobbits are homo-erotic too?

They sure are:

"OH, SAM! I'm glad you're with me, here at the end of all things.."

Last edited:
Monique said:
I am a bit tired of all these star wars movies or any movie that has a plot around fighting a war. I rather spend my money on independent movies, the other week I watched Bin-Jip.. something original.
I know what you mean. The real trouble with many films like Star Wars, though, is less that they're about war, than that they are about war in order to have an excuse for more and more spectacular special effects. Many, many critics predicted that films were going to become special effects showcases, and it has come true. The plot smells of having been written to accommodate the effects.

Monique said:
Well, the word "epic" is getting rather nauseating..
(I'm going to see Star Wars, though..)

zoobyshoe said:
I know what you mean. The real trouble with many films like Star Wars, though, is less that they're about war, than that they are about war in order to have an excuse for more and more spectacular special effects. Many, many critics predicted that films were going to become special effects showcases, and it has come true. The plot smells of having been written to accommodate the effects.
You could always look at this one as the internal struggle inside of Anakin. I know that sounds cheesy but after all that's what this one is about... well that and lots of special effects destruction!

ShadowKnight said:
You could always look at this one as the internal struggle inside of Anakin. I know that sounds cheesy but after all that's what this one is about... well that and lots of special effects destruction!
From what I've seen, Ian McDiarmid is just great (and scary!) as Palpatine; would you agree to that after having seen the movie?

zoobyshoe said:
Yes! That's exactly what I mean, films lose my interest because of that. The art of film making is a changed concept in Hollywood.

Bin-Jip is an almost silent movie, a guy breaks into apartments and start fixing people's houses until they come back. He gets caught in the end and ends up in jail, where he starts practicing the art of being invisible. The way the personality develops and the way it is filmed is brilliant.

arildno said:
From what I've seen, Ian McDiarmid is just great (and scary!) as Palpatine; would you agree to that after having seen the movie?
I've liked his acting as Palpatine in all of them but he really shines in this one. They did his makeup to look JUST like the emporer in Return of the Jedi.

ShadowKnight said:
I've liked his acting as Palpatine in all of them but he really shines in this one.
Agreed.
Palpatine's machinations was just about the only plot-line I thought worked in the first two episodes. He dominated and controlled each scene he was in, which was from the view of the larger plot absolutely crucial if his eventual success should seem credible.
Great that you confirmed my impression on his role in this film.
They did his makeup to look JUST like the emporer in Return of the Jedi.
Considering that it WAS IanMcDiarmid who played the Emperor in RoTJ (but not in ESB), that shouldn't be too hard..:wink:

zoobyshoe said:

The plot essentially is the rise and fall of anakin- the rise and fall of a hero from grace- It's classic good vs evil. Ian mcdermid is very charismatic and the way he plays his character makes it very believable that he could deceive everyone. I didn't agree with some points of the plot and how they played out,but the the premise is definitely enough to keep your interest. I think you could see this and skip the first 2. You may miss out on a few points, but there are so many tie-ins to the original star wars, it will look all too familiar.

arildno said:
They sure are:

"OH, SAM! I'm glad you're with me, here at the end of all things.."

aaragorn and the elf my butt. IMHO Sam and Frodo had the steamiest love scences.

You didn't know? Sodomy is hobbit forming!

Zantra said:
aaragorn and the elf my butt. IMHO Sam and Frodo had the steamiest love scences.
It is for the best that the scene where recently freed, nude hobbits tumble about while Tom Bombadil fetches new clothes for them was cut from the movie..

And, Frodo was NUDE when Sam finally came to his rescue in the Tower of Cirith Ungol.
His relief was certainly palpable; how visible it was, Tolkien deigned not to tell us..

Last edited:
Monique said:
Yes! That's exactly what I mean, films lose my interest because of that. The art of film making is a changed concept in Hollywood.
Yes, it's changed all right. Hollywood still makes quieter, realistic film that don't rely on effects. Still, some of these seem "off". Did you see "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks? He's a great actor, but this movie just didn't work. Did you see "About Schmidt" with Jack Nicholson? He's a great actor, but they kind of took it too far. Schmidt just ends up being too sad and pathetic a character.
Bin-Jip is an almost silent movie, a guy breaks into apartments and start fixing people's houses until they come back.
Already this sounds like a really cool plot.

zoobyshoe said:
Yes, it's changed all right. Hollywood still makes quieter, realistic film that don't rely on effects. Still, some of these seem "off". Did you see "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks? He's a great actor, but this movie just didn't work. Did you see "About Schmidt" with Jack Nicholson? He's a great actor, but they kind of took it too far. Schmidt just ends up being too sad and pathetic a character.

Already this sounds like a really cool plot.

Frantically trying to make a serious thread out of this mess..

arildno said:
Frantically trying to make a serious thread out of this mess..
It's just a case of spontaneous bifurcation. Play on!

HallsofIvy said:
You didn't know? Sodomy is hobbit forming!
:rofl:
Sure I knew; although I haven't read "The Soddit", I've certainly read Harvard Lampoon's "Bored of the Rings" with Frito Bugger inheriting a stupid ring from his Uncle Dildo and all the rest..

Last edited:
Zantra said:
You may miss out on a few points, but there are so many tie-ins to the original star wars, it will look all too familiar.
I may check it out, then. Thanks.

Zantra said:
and the elf my butt. ...
If Orlando had understood what people were most attracted to in his being in a movie, we could have been spared his presence in Troy, for example.
Instead of wasting his and our time there, he should have let his particular form of talent bloom to the full elsewhere..

What I loved about the first Star Wars film was the humor. I didn't like any of the sequels.

Evo said:
What I loved about the first Star Wars film was the humor. I didn't like any of the sequels.
The character of Han Solo is definitely my favourite from the original movies.
Harrison Ford brings into them a vitality sorely lacking in the prequels.

But, you were perhaps thinking equally of C-3PO?