What optocoupler can I use to drive a IRF840 Mosfet for LED lights?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bartleboom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mosfet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Bartleboom
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Good Morning,
I'm new to electronics. I'm looking for an optocoupler to drive a Mosfet (IRF840). The load is a 220VDC 2A LED lights. It should work like a switch.
Can I use an optocoupler with transistor output? I think I can't because the max voltage between emittor and collector is 70V and my load is 220VDC.
If you have some links or schematic where I can find infos please help me.

Thanks a lot.

Nello
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bartleboom, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Yes, you can use the IRF840 as your switch. Note that Mosfets have three teriminals named Source, Drain, and Gate. The IRF840 is rated to withstand a Maximum of 500 Volts Source-Drain potential difference. If you Google this part number you will find plenty of data sheets in pdf format. Check their applications notes on their last pages for examples.

Sure, you can use an optocoupler to drive the Mosfet. Good idea!

See: www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-937.pdf
 
Last edited: