What physics project would you do with $?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking advice for a project idea to work on over the next year. They have a budget of $1,000-$5,000 and the project must be able to fit in their garage. Their interests are in optics and quantum physics and they have experience in the optics industry and access to machine tool technology. They are a junior year undergraduate physics major and have access to professors for guidance. It is suggested that they reach out to professors for ideas and personal interest, with a specific resource provided for potential project ideas.
Galgenstrick
I am looking for a project idea to do over the next year or so. I know there are many threads on this topic, but most are not quite what I am looking for. Here are my interests and resources:

1- $1,000-$5,000 scholarship money to fund the project.
2- needs to fit in the garage.
3- My interest are in optics and quantum physics.
4- I have 3 years of experience working in the optics industry (filter design and manufacturing).
6- I have access to machine tool technology, and I can make my own optical filters.
7- I am a Junior year undergraduate physics major, and of course have access to Doctors and Professors to help.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I you really want guidance from professors, ask if they have come across any interesting problems you could work on...

you'll not only get ideas based on your current education/knowledge, but also some personal interest from a professor or two.

What physics project would you do with $?

1. How much money do I need for a physics project?

The cost of a physics project can vary greatly depending on the materials and equipment needed. It is important to research and plan out your project before determining the budget.

2. Can I do a physics project at home?

Yes, there are many physics projects that can be done at home with basic materials and equipment. However, some projects may require access to specialized equipment or facilities.

3. What are some popular physics projects that can be done with $?

Some popular physics projects that can be done with a budget include building a simple electric motor, creating a small-scale solar system model, or conducting experiments on the properties of light.

4. Can I collaborate with others on a physics project with $?

Yes, collaborating with others can be a great way to stretch your budget and work on more complex projects. You can share the cost of materials and equipment, as well as divide the workload.

5. How can I make my physics project stand out with a limited budget?

Even with a limited budget, you can make your physics project stand out by being creative and thinking outside the box. Use recycled materials, incorporate technology, or focus on a unique aspect of physics to make your project stand out.