1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What prerequisites should i study?

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    Hi, currently I am an undergrad. I really want to take an graduate course in Quantum Mechanics, but I am not sure if the physics I have already taken is sufficient enough. So, now I am wondering what courses I should take before taking the Quantum Mechanics course. I have listed the necessary link below. Please tell me, specific courses from the undergraduate course list that I need for the QM course.
    (ignore the dates)

Syllabus for the Grad QM course. link
    List of undergraduate Physics Courses. link (if you click on course, it will give short descriptions)

Don't worry about mathematical background.

Please, if you know and are capable of, look at the undergrad courses and tell me the ones i absolutely need. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Don't you have an academic advisor for you to consult? He/she is the perfect person to answer this because not only will he/she know what level the course will be taught, but he/she is also able to know you current academic standing (i.e. How well you have done in you previous physics classes) to judge if you are capable for doing well in such classes.

Even at the very least, ask the instructor that is going to teach the class.

Zz.

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Typically one would take the entire undergraduate physics major prior to taking graduate level courses. This includes an introductory physics sequence, followed by a couple semesters each of classical mechanics, electricity & magnetism, and quantum mechanics, plus a semester of thermal and statistical physics, and a couple of upper level physics labs.

As already mentioned, the best person to consult on this issue is an academic adviser. They'll be able to tell you whether or not it's possible.

5. Mar 2, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Which of these courses have you taken already?

6. Mar 2, 2015 #5

eri

Typically a graduate level QM course expects you to have taken two semesters of undergrad QM first. That's where they pick up. It doesn't look like your school offers two semesters of QM; that's odd if they also offer graduate courses in the subject.

7. Mar 2, 2015 #6
    I've taken undergrad modern physics(not advanced) and currently taking undergrad quantum mechanics

8. Mar 2, 2015 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Don't you think that, with this question, you are putting the cart waaaaay before the horse? Try to do well in your undergraduate QM classes first, and then you may start thinking about taking graduate level courses.

Zz.

9. Mar 2, 2015 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need almost no physics to study Gasiorowicz. I mean, you should understand Coulomb's law, and how to find the motion of a classical particle moving under the influence of a force F=-kx, but you could probably learn those things while you're taking this QM course.

I'm surprised that you're describing this as a graduate course. This was the first intro to QM we got at the start of my third year at the university. The next year we had a second QM course (based on Sakurai) that also started from the beginning, but skipped some stuff that was covered by Gasiorowicz.

If Gasiorowicz is the graduate course, then what's in the undergraduate course?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  10. Mar 2, 2015 #9
    That's what I was thinking, Fredrik. The syllabus looks like the syllabus for my Quantum I and II courses (undergrad) combined. Which makes sense, if the OP's school doesn't offer a second-semester QM course in undergrad. Maybe they are expected to take graduate quantum?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook