1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What rent should the manager charge to maximize revenue?

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    The manager of a large apartment complex knows from experience that 90 units will be occupied if the rent is 400 dollars per month. A market survey suggests that, on the average, one additional unit will remain vacant for each 10 dollar increase in rent. Similarly, one additional unit will be occupied for each 10 dollar decrease in rent. What rent should the manager charge to maximize revenue?

All I know is that 90 units will give me $36000

What do I have to do after? I am so stuck on this problem I have no idea what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Optimization

OK, so R(90) = 90* 400 = 36000.
    How about R(89)? R(85)? R(91)? R(100)?

More generally, what is R(x), where x represents the number of units that are occupied?

In order to maximize the revenue function, you first need a revenue function.

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Optimization

So the number of units, u, rented if the rent is r is 90- the number of 10 dollar increases in rent over 400. The increase is r- 400 and the number of 10 dollar increases in that is (r-400)/10. The number of units rented if the rent is r dollas per mont is u= 90- (r-400)/10

Find the number of units rented if the rent is r. That's what I gave above. Find the revenue in that case: multiply the number of units rented times r.

Find the maximum value of that revenue. You can do it by setting the derivative equal to 0 or, since this is a quadratic, by completing the square to find the vertex.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?