1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should a chemistry undergrad do to move toward an Engineering MS

1. May 13, 2014 #1
    Hello - I am a student at the University of Richmond. I went to the university in order to get a chemistry degree to provide a solid pure science foundation for a later graduate engineering degree. I am realizing now that that might have been a mistake, as I was looking at Georgia Tech's Chemical Engineering undergraduate degree as well as their Materials Science undergraduate degree, and there would be at least 13 or 14 classes that I would not be able to take at Richmond. I am interested in Materials, Mining, Metallurgical, and Mineral, and to a certain degree Chemical Engineering, and I thought I had three years to figure out what I wanted to do in Graduate school, but now it seems a little dire. Is there anyway aside from transferring schools to not have to take, as it seems right now, a minimum of 2 years in remedial classes if I want an engineering degree of the types mentioned above in Graduate School?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2014 #2
    I can only say I had the same predicament going from physics to EE. I had so many EE pre-reqs to take that a BS in EE was a better choice than an MS in EE.

Hopefully you find a better way. Talk to your adviser, the adviser for the MS program you want and your professors/classmates about it.

4. May 13, 2014 #3
    Thanks Modus. I have talked to my advisers, but I should add that Richmond is a Liberal Arts school with only Law, Buisiness, and Education Graduate degrees, and no engineering Undergrad or Grad, so I guess it would be worthwhile to email the faculty at a engineering school?

5. May 13, 2014 #4
    Yes, email the adviser at the engineering school you wish to attend. If you don't have a particular one in mind, thats even better because with geographic flexibility you can see which schools would make you take many pre-reqs and which would not.

At this point I would ask your adviser at your current school (hopefully a chemistry adviser, not a general adviser) about MS in chemical engineering. Ask if they know any schools that previous grads have gone too, ask if they know about pre-reqs for a non-engineering student, etc. You should also email the chemical engineering advisers at prospective graduate schools, tell them where you are from, what kind of courses you expect to have completed by graduation and ask them what you would need to do or take to get into their chemical engineering grad program. Let me reiterate that you should be talking with the chemistry/chemical engineering advisers specifically, not the general advisers.

It seems you are early in your current undergrad program, right? So consider this to be a sort of information gathering stage. Gather as much information as you can on graduate programs at prospective schools. Then, after you have accumulated this info you can parse through it in your mind and on paper and develop an plan of attack for getting into a grad program you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook