What should be the work done here?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work and how it is calculated using the formula W=\vec{F} \cdot \vec{s}. It is clarified that the person asking the question is only concerned with finding the work done on the car, not the forces causing the movement. The incorrect attempts at using scalar multiplication and matrix multiplication are also addressed.
Asad Raza

Homework Statement

If you apply a force F with the x component =-6.97 N and the y component = 8.47 N on a car which moves along the x-axis by a displacement of 3.37m. What is the work done on the car by your force in J?

Homework Equations

W=Fxd

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the work done should be zero for this question since the direction of movement is not in the direction of force. Right? Moreover, I was curious because there's no hint in the question that any force acts in positive x direction, albeit the particle moves in that direction.
Kindly answer both parts of the questions

Physics news on Phys.org
Asad Raza said:

Homework Statement

If you apply a force F with the x component =-6.97 N and the y component = 8.47 N on a car which moves along the x-axis by a displacement of 3.37m. What is the work done on the car by your force in J?

Homework Equations

W=Fxd

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the work done should be zero for this question since the direction of movement is not in the direction of force. Right?
wrong
Moreover, I was curious because there's no hint in the question that any force acts in positive x direction, albeit the particle moves in that direction.
but there is a force acting in the negative x direction
Kindly answer both parts of the questions
you will have to answer the problem question. What is the definition of work? It is not Fxd.

When you push a car, are you saying no work is done?

The formula for work is [tex]W=\vec{F} \cdot s [/tex]

(hint: Use scalar multiplication)

patrickmoloney said:
When you push a car, are you saying no work is done?

The formula for work is [tex]W=\vec{F} \cdot s [/tex]

(hint: Use scalar multiplication)
I am asserting no work is done because the force applied and the direction of movement make an angle of 180 degrees with each other. Work done is the distance moved by an object in the direction of applied force.
Now, if I use scalar multiplication, it will render -6.97(3.37)cos(180)=23.4889. Is that you're saying should be he answer?

PhanthomJay said:
wrong but there is a force acting in the negative x directionyou will have to answer the problem question. What is the definition of work? It is not Fxd.
That is what I am asking that how can a force in the negative x direction make an object move in the positive x direction?

Asad Raza said:
That is what I am asking that how can a force in the negative x direction make an object move in the positive x direction?
[tex]W = \vec{F} \cdot s = s \begin{bmatrix} \vec{x} \\ \vec{y} \end{bmatrix}= 3.37 \begin{bmatrix} -6.97 \\ 8.47 \end{bmatrix}= 3.37(-6.97) + 3.37(8.47) = [/tex]

If you don't know what I just did, it's simple scalar multiplication. That's what [itex]F \cdot s [/itex] means

patrickmoloney said:
[tex]W = \vec{F} \cdot s = s \begin{bmatrix} \vec{x} \\ \vec{y} \end{bmatrix}= 3.37 \begin{bmatrix} -6.97 \\ 8.47 \end{bmatrix}= 3.37(-6.97) + 3.37(8.47) = [/tex]

If you don't know what I just did, it's simple scalar multiplication. That's what [itex]F \cdot s [/itex] means
No, what you did was a nonsense.
First, displacement is a vector. Work done is ##\vec F.\vec s##, the dot representing the dot product, which results in a scalar.

Multiplying a scalar by a vector produces a vector, not the scalar you somehow obtained.
[tex]3.37 \begin{bmatrix} -6.97 \\ 8.47 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix} 3.37(-6.97)\\ 3.37(8.47)\end{bmatrix} [/tex]

Last edited:
Asad Raza said:
Work done is the distance moved by an object in the direction of applied force.
Yes, but that is direction in a vectorial sense. No movement in the direction of the force vector would mean that all the movement was at right angles to the force vector.
If I push with force F against an object and move it forward distance s then I have done work Fs. If despite my efforts I go backwards distance s then I have done work F(-s)=-Fs.

Asad Raza said:

The force in the -x direction is not what's making it move in the positive x direction. There is another force acting on it. You don't have to worry about it because you're only concerned in finding how much work you've done. Imagine you are lifting weights, doing something like bench press, and you are pushing your hardest to raise the bar but it's too heavy and so it gradually falls back to your chest. As you're pushing against it to raise the bar, you are doing work on the bar, but because it's moving in the opposite direction, you are doing negative work (gravity would be doing positive work)

In this case, the person is pushing against the car but it is still moving in the opposite direction and so the person would be doing what kind of work would they be doing on the car?
patrickmoloney said:

This is incorrect. An immediate red flag should have been the fact that you have a contribution from the y-component of the force even though there is no displacement in the y-direction, meaning it should be zero.

Your idea of matrix multiplication is wrong as well. If you were to represent the vectors as matrices, you would be attempting to multiply a (1x1) matrix by a (2x1), which has no defined product. Importantly, matrix multiplication yields another matrix, not a scalar.

In this case,

[tex]

W = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{s} = F_xs_x + F_ys_y

[/tex]

where the s components are the displacements in the x and y directions respectively.

Note that matrix multiplication multiplies a (1x2) by a (2x1) matrix. The "inner sizes" are both 2 and so the multiplication is valid. For matrix multiplication to be defined, the number of columns on the left must equal the number of rows on the right.

Asad Raza said:
It doesn't. The car is already moving in the positive x direction before the negative force is applied. The applied negative force slows it down (like a braking force applied to a moving vehicle) as it continues to move in the positive x direction..

1. What is the purpose of the work being done here?

The purpose of the work being done here is to achieve a specific goal or objective, whether it is to conduct research, test a hypothesis, or develop a new product or technology.

2. What are the specific tasks that need to be completed?

The specific tasks that need to be completed depend on the nature of the work and the desired outcome. They may include experiments, data analysis, literature review, design, development, or other activities related to the project.

3. What methods and techniques will be used to complete the work?

The methods and techniques used to complete the work will depend on the goals and requirements of the project. They may involve laboratory experiments, computer simulations, data collection and analysis, or other scientific approaches.

4. What is the timeline for completing the work?

The timeline for completing the work will vary depending on the complexity of the project and the availability of resources. It is important to establish a realistic timeline to ensure that the work is completed efficiently and effectively.

5. What potential challenges or obstacles may arise during the work?

There may be various challenges or obstacles that can arise during the work, such as technical difficulties, unexpected results, or resource limitations. It is important to anticipate and address these challenges to ensure the success of the project.