What should I do with my extra year?

• Other
  • Thread starter SuperCat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, if you're pursuing a career in engineering, you should aim to gain experience through internships or volunteer work. If you don't have an accredited engineering degree, you might be able to get a position as an engineer without it, but you'll need good teamwork, management, and communication skills.
SuperCat
b6b5cc3dfc552791c7ce33fa26c7ceed.png

Thank you for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about full-time engineering work, but you could always look around and see who hires interns for the fall and spring.

If you're pursuing law school (n.b. a truly horrible job market) then you should be preparing for the LSAT. Do these four credits have to be in your major? If not, take a pre-law class or study a language.

I think getting actual work experience in some form would be better than concentrating on maximizing your potential results in final exams.

axmls said:
I don't know about full-time engineering work, but you could always look around and see who hires interns for the fall and spring.
I've had multiple internships before. I was hoping to get an actual position just for the sake of having it on my resume.

DrSteve said:
If you're pursuing law school (n.b. a truly horrible job market) then you should be preparing for the LSAT. Do these four credits have to be in your major? If not, take a pre-law class or study a language.
The general job market for lawyers is bleak, but I'm specializing and I don't plan on attending unless I get into a T14 school. The credits have to be in my major, and they are only offered during those semesters.

rootone said:
I think getting actual work experience in some form would be better than concentrating on maximizing your potential results in final exams.
Can an engineering firm hire someone without an accredited engineering degree and call them an engineer? If so I'll look more into applying for a full time job.

SuperCat said:
Can an engineering firm hire someone without an accredited engineering degree and call them an engineer? If so I'll look more into applying for a full time job.
That's going to depend very much on what firm it is and what the actual job responsibilities are.
If you don't set your sights too high and go for a junior/assistant position with a middle of the road kind of company you could get lucky, although you won't have the official job description 'engineer'.
That kind of experience looks good on a resume not so much because of the official job title, but as proof of your ability for teamwork, respect for operating guidelines, good relations with management and so on.

Likes SuperCat
If you're going to law school, take a coupe of english or philosophy courses (critical writing intensive). You'll need it.

What should I do with my extra year?

If you have an extra year, there are many things you can do to make the most of it. Here are five frequently asked questions about what you should do with your extra year:

1. Should I use my extra year to travel?

Traveling is a great way to broaden your horizons and learn about different cultures. If you have the means and desire to travel, it can be a fantastic use of your extra year. Just be sure to plan and budget carefully to make the most of your time and money.

2. Is it a good idea to take a gap year?

Taking a year off from your studies or career can be a great opportunity to explore new interests, gain valuable life experiences, and recharge before diving back into your academic or professional pursuits. However, it's important to have a plan and make sure you are using your time wisely.

3. Should I use my extra year to gain work experience or internships?

Gaining work experience or completing internships can be incredibly valuable for building your resume and developing important skills. If you are still in school, consider taking on a part-time job or internship to gain hands-on experience in your field of interest. If you are already working, consider taking on a new project or seeking out professional development opportunities.

4. Would it be beneficial to use my extra year to pursue further education?

If you have a specific area of interest that you want to delve deeper into, using your extra year to pursue further education can be a great option. This could include enrolling in a graduate program, taking online courses, or attending workshops and seminars. Just make sure to carefully consider the time and financial commitments involved.

5. Is it okay to use my extra year to relax and take a break?

You may feel pressure to constantly be productive and make the most of your time, but it's also important to take care of your mental and physical well-being. If you feel burnt out and in need of a break, it's okay to use your extra year to relax and recharge. Just make sure you are still setting goals and staying motivated for the future.