What should I learn first: Trigonometry or Geometry?

In summary, the goal of self-study for physics is to provide a broad general education that can be specialized in all directions.
BadgerBadger92
I’m teaching myself algebra right now so I’m not at that point, but I was wondering when I finish algebra what should I study next? Trig or Geometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
BadgerBadger92 said:
I’m teaching myself algebra right now so I’m not at that point, but I was wondering when I finish algebra what should I study next? Trig or Geometry?
... in order to ...?

To teach myself math and physics…

Trigonometry. Although I am not quite sure where the difference to geometry lies. I would steer clear of Euclid's elements in general. But trigonometry is very basic. Triangles, circles, sines, tangents, and cosines are all over the place.

Likes BadgerBadger92
Why should I stay clear of Euclid?

BadgerBadger92 said:
Why should I stay clear of Euclid?
Depends on what you mean by Euclid. Euclidean geometry is fundamental to classical physics. Euclid's elements are not. They are a treatise of geometry by axioms, compass, and ruler. This was my interpretation of your distinction between trig and geometry. Trigonometry means literally "three angles", i.e. triangles. They are necessary for vector calculus, i.e. forces, and they are the origin of the trigonometric functions that are of tremendous importance. Now, that is geometry - at least the version that deals with computations. Since you made a distinction to geometry, I interpreted it as the constructional part of geometry: compass, ruler, and Euclid's elements. I don't think there is any use in the ability to construct a ##17##-gon in a circle with a compass and a ruler. And apart from the uselessness, I can tell you from my own experience that the errors you make with your pencil and compass build up to a veritable gap at the end of the construction.

Likes vanhees71, PhDeezNutz, berkeman and 1 other person
BadgerBadger92 said:
You do not "finish algebra". One course sequence you can use, which is good, is Introd. Algebra, Intermed. Algebra, Trigonometry.
Another sequence of courses you can use, which is good, is Introductory Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry.
Other opinions may be possible. You really NEED Intermediate Algebra so you have a stronger grip on understanding and solving Trigonometry problems. If not, then your "algebra" could still be too weak for Trigonometry.

From post #7, another possible response, not better or worse, is a sequencing like this:
  1. Introductory Algebra
  2. Intermediate Algebra
  3. Trigonometry
  4. maybe another continuing Algebra course or not depending on not sure what
  5. Geometry

Yes some people may say you can study Trigonometry before studying Geometry.

Kinda depends on what you mean by geometry and trigonometry. They are related.

Isn't this like your 10th time asking this or a similar question?

• Haha
Likes phinds, Vanadium 50 and MidgetDwarf
More than 50 years ago, this was the sequence my school system followed, for students in the "accelerated" track:

8th grade: Algebra I
9th grade: Algebra II
10th grade: Geometry (Euclidian)
11th grade: Trigonometry and analytic geometry
12th grade: Calculus (basics of differentiation and integration)

jtbell said:
More than 50 years ago, this was the sequence my school system followed, for students in the "accelerated" track:

8th grade: Algebra I
9th grade: Algebra II
10th grade: Geometry (Euclidian)
11th grade: Trigonometry and analytic geometry
12th grade: Calculus (basics of differentiation and integration)
Something like that. And some institutions had an arrangement like this:
grade 9: Algebra I
grade 10: Geometry
grade 11: Algebra II
grade 12: Trigonometry and "Mathematical Analysis"

That would have been common for students who were College Preparatory but who made a late start or who were slightly deficient upon entering high school.

malawi_glenn said:

Malawi_Glenn raised a good point. The OP has continuously made threads asking the same question. Has received various insightful post, but the OP for whatever reason, keeps asking the same question over and over.

Everyone responding to this thread. Do not waste your time!

Now, I will say this. From the time you asked this the first time, an again today. You could have already started learning Pre-Calculus or even Calculus. Less time posting the same question over an over again, and more time learning. Just open your book. It is not deep...

its like asking "I want to learn algebra", what kind of algebra?

malawi_glenn said:
its like asking "I want to learn algebra", what kind of algebra?
I dislike Clifford and Boolean for a reason, but the rest are ok.

Many suggestions that I have read here are in my opinion questionable, to say the least. My impression is that we cannot assume a regular syllabus (cp. posts #2 and #3). The goal of such a plan is to provide a broad general education that can be specialized in all directions. However, this is not the case here (cp. posts #1 and #3)!

I dare to claim that someone, whose goal is to learn phsýsics and the mathematics needed for it in self-study does not need to learn classical geometry. This would be a total waste of time. You can afford such as a kid, but not so much afterward. Some give advice along the lines of "one fits all". To be able to construct a perpendicular line with a compass is useless. One needs Thales, Pythagoras, and the intercept theorems, if at all. And Pythagoras comes automatically with the cosine theorem in trigonometry.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes malawi_glenn and symbolipoint
malawi_glenn said:
The irony is that if he engaged with this three years ago (or is it more?) that he'd be done now.

• Haha
Likes MidgetDwarf and PhDeezNutz
fresh_42 said:
I dare to claim that someone, whose goal is to learn phýsics and the mathematics needed for it in self-study does not need to learn classical geometry. This would be a total waste of time. You can afford such as a kid, but not so much afterward. Some give advice along the lines of "one fits all". To be able to construct a perpendicular line with a compass is useless. One needs Thales, Pythagoras, and the intercept theorems, if at all. And Pythagoras comes automatically with the cosine theorem in trigonometry.
If, by classical geometry, all you mean is constructions with a compass and a straightedge, I'll agree, but in my high school geometry course, we learned more than just that, like the basic structure of a proof, etc. I find one of the biggest stumbling blocks for intro physics students is analyzing the geometry in a problem, like recognizing when two angles are equal or when two triangles are similar. I recall most of this material was covered in high school geometry, not in algebra or trig.

Likes gleem
vela said:
If, by classical geometry, all you mean is constructions with a compass and a straightedge, I'll agree, but in my high school geometry course, we learned more than just that, like the basic structure of a proof, etc. I find one of the biggest stumbling blocks for intro physics students is analyzing the geometry in a problem, like recognizing when two angles are equal or when two triangles are similar. I recall most of this material was covered in high school geometry, not in algebra or trig.
As I said, intercept theorems.

What I wanted to say is, that any advice depends on whom, therewith how, and what for. Some of the posts here are good advice for high schoolers, but not so much for people learning on their own. We shouldn't only consider the question itself and disregard the circumstances. My question in post #2 was meant very seriously. It steers my answers. I was surprised how many here ignored it and answered some imaginary kid who wasn't present.

If the goal is to understand physics, then I do not see any reasons to learn proofs, or theorems that can be looked up on Wikipedia.

vela said:
Do students and teachers continue to ignore that? And if yes, then maybe that's because of something like, "when are we really going to use this or need to know this?"

symbolipoint said:
Do students and teachers continue to ignore that? And if yes, then maybe that's because of something like, "when are we really going to use this or need to know this?"
Students and teachers seldom construct syallabus and curicula at this level

fresh_42 said:
I dare to claim that someone, whose goal is to learn phsýsics and the mathematics needed for it in self-study does not need to learn classical geometry. This would be a total waste of time.
My personal experience was that 'Pure Geometry' was my way into Maths. It was fun for me and I was fairly successful at it in School. It gave me confidence for the less visual parts of Maths. I don't know how I would have progressed without it.
You can't know too much!
It reminds me of the Larsen cartoon with the student saying "My brain's full, can I go home?"

Likes gleem and symbolipoint
symbolipoint said:
Do students and teachers continue to ignore that?
Ignore what?

vela said:
Ignore what?
What @vela said. This:

• Skeptical
Likes vela
sophiecentaur said:
My personal experience was that 'Pure Geometry' was my way into Maths. It was fun for me and I was fairly successful at it in School. It gave me confidence for the less visual parts of Maths. I don't know how I would have progressed without it.

Same here. See my post #6. I'm still annoyed about the gap between vertex 1 and vertex 18.

sophiecentaur said:
You can't know too much!
Theoretically. In fact, you have to calculate the remaining time, speed of learning, and goals you can achieve within these parameters. That caused my objections against classical geometry and proof writing on a late way to understand physics. We are talking about an optimization problem, not an ideal world.

sophiecentaur said:
It reminds me of the Larsen cartoon with the student saying "My brain's full, can I go home?"
This is only funny when you're young. I studied mathematics and probably do have the requirements to e.g. learn GR or QM. Truth is, it costs me meanwhile an enormous effort to learn the new language! My algebraic mindset doesn't want to learn the physicists' coordinate acrobatics anymore. This means: it makes a significant difference if I was asking for a way to understand GR or QM or a student the age of 18. I would definitely expect a different answer.

That was my point. Many here apparently didn't bother by the given circumstances.

• Informative
Likes BadgerBadger92
malawi_glenn said:

This topic? No. You can search the forums. I might have asked about books a few times. Please don’t be angry.

Likes fresh_42
Vanadium 50 said:
The irony is that if he engaged with this three years ago (or is it more?) that he'd be done now.
I haven’t had the time because I have a full time job.

And I have been doing well with algebra. I can factor in my head and can use algebraic long division effectively.

I have also taught myself how to calculate the circumference of a circle, the volume and surface area of a sphere, and calculating the angles of triangles. I may have not much time to do it, but for that, I am doing okay.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
One year ago.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint
BadgerBadger92 said:
One year ago.
Don't take those comments seriously. They all assume an environment that possibly doesn't match reality.

Heinrich von Kleist - Michael Kohlhaas - 1810 said:
... und wie denn die Wahrscheinlichkeit nicht immer auf seiten der Wahrheit ist, so traf es sich ...
(... and as the probability is not always on the side of the truth, it happened ...)

fresh_42 said:
Don't take those comments seriously. They all assume an environment that possibly doesn't match reality.(... and as the probability is not always on the side of the truth, it happened ...)
Yeah, I’ve noticed a lot of people on forums aren’t exactly the nicest people.

As to the title, "What should I learn first? Trigonometry or Geometry?

Answer: Neither (yet). Do what you are doing now; learning Algebra. If you continue on through "all of " Intermediate Algebra, then you may study Trigonometry next.

Likes BadgerBadger92
BadgerBadger92 said:
Yeah, I’ve noticed a lot of people on forums aren’t exactly the nicest people.
No one is being mean...

You keep posting the same question, expecting different answers.

Likes Vanadium 50 and malawi_glenn
MidgetDwarf said:
No one is being mean...

You keep posting the same question, expecting different answers.
I simply forgot I asked.

In high school my sequence was

Algebra 1 (middle school), Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, Calculus 1

Trigonometry was more or less subsumed by Algebra 2 and Pre-Calculus.

I'd study calculus first, because then you can introduce the trigonometric functions via their power series and derive all their properties, then linear algebra, and finally geometry in analytic form.

• Skeptical
Likes Mark44, gleem and fresh_42
vanhees71 said:
I'd study calculus first, because then you can introduce the trigonometric functions via their power series and derive all their properties, then linear algebra, and finally geometry in analytic form.
Too hard to learn Trigonometry that way. A separate course before starting Calculus is more typical and easier.