What side job in school looks good on a resume?

In summary, the conversation highlights the importance of finding a relevant job while in school to increase chances of finding a job after graduation. The suggestions given include getting a programming job, participating in internships, and seeking out job opportunities that develop special skills related to the desired field of work. It is also advised to maintain good grades while working, and to consider getting a job in a related field such as a physics lab on campus. Ultimately, the type of job that would be most beneficial depends on the desired career path and the specific skills and experience required for that field.
Whitefire_Nomura
Good morning everyone, Just a simple question.

I plan to work while going to school. I want to build something relevant to an entry level resume when I graduate College. The only question is what? I had been sending out feelers in order to get back into the electronics field. But I've also been seeing things on auto-mechanics as well. So my question is if you could go back and do it all again, what job would you have gotten while in school, that would have increased your chances at finding a job when you graduated?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
A programming job. I worked 20/30 hrs per week while going fulltime for BS in Phydics as a floor sweeper/ appliances salesman in a dept store. It paid my college debt pretty much but took a toll in grades to do it.

However, i got my fulltime job because I was involved in explorer scouts sponsored by a major company who hired me immediately as a comp tech.

A year later I became a programmer in that same company so being one in school could have jump started my career sooner.

I think connections and internships are really important so I'd focus on them while keeping your grades up ie don't work too much while actively going to school.

Likes Logical Dog
The above advice to get a programming job is very good.

You might also look into getting a student or work-study job in a physics lab on campus.

Your goal should be to get a job doing something relevant and where any recommendations would be more valuable than if you were flipping burgers or working in the cafeteria.

I think it's obvious that a job that requires and develops special skills is better than a job that requires no special skills. Other than that, it's a roll of the dice. You mentioned in other posts that you plan on getting a BS ME. So, come job hunting time:

If you apply for a position with a car manufacturer, "auto mechanic" on your resume looks good.

If you apply for a position with an electronics equipment manufacturer, "electronics service technician" looks good.

If you apply for a position with an HVAC engineering firm, "HVAC installer and service technician" looks good.

If you apply for a position with a food prep equipment manufacturer, "chef" looks good.

1. What types of side jobs should I consider for my resume?

There are various types of side jobs that can be beneficial for your resume, such as internships, part-time jobs, volunteer work, freelance projects, and leadership roles in student organizations.

2. How do I choose a side job that will impress employers?

When considering a side job for your resume, think about the skills and experiences that are relevant to your desired career field. Look for opportunities that will allow you to gain transferable skills and showcase your strengths.

3. Can any side job be valuable for my resume?

Yes, any side job can add value to your resume if you are able to highlight the skills and experiences gained from it. Even a part-time retail job can demonstrate customer service skills and time management abilities.

4. How should I include my side job on my resume?

Include your side job in the work experience section of your resume, along with your job title, company name, dates of employment, and a brief description of your responsibilities and accomplishments. You can also mention it in your cover letter or during an interview.

5. Is it necessary to have a side job on my resume?

Having a side job on your resume is not mandatory, but it can be beneficial as it shows employers that you have work experience and have been actively developing your skills and experiences outside of your academic studies. It can also demonstrate your time management and commitment to juggling multiple responsibilities.