Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Species are "People" in Star Wars?

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    One big plot hole seems to be the fact Star Wars is set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away and yet somehow there are humans. Can anyone tell me whether they are actually humans or whether they just have an extremely uncanny resemblance but are in fact another species, is there concrete evidence of this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2
    They'd be well beyond the span of a typical race if they were the same species as Earthly humans. Plus Lucas was emphatic that they'd never reach Earth. So we'd have to go with parallel evolution. Seems the midichlorians like intelligent species, they made so many. In that environment I think something close to humans would have a good chance of evolving. (100% pure SWAG on my part, of course.)

4. May 16, 2016 #3
    I suppose the fact they speak English is just pure conicidence XD

5. May 16, 2016 #4

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Ah, that's just the TARDIS making everything sound and look right by telepathy.

Oh, wrong show! :wink:

At least one science fiction show (but I can't remember which) explained such things away by saying that for purposes of telling the story, images as well as sounds have been automatically translated in order to make them more comprehensible to the audience.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  6. May 16, 2016 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The language and concepts are translated by the camera into a form we can understand here on Earth. Or maybe it's just the force.

Edit: Dang, Jonathan Scott beat me to this!

7. May 16, 2016 #6
    I think Lucas' scrolling pre-text should have been used to explain these instead of some civil war backstory.

8. May 16, 2016 #7
    they speak galactic basic.
    and write it too
    not all species can actually speak it but most understand it.

9. May 16, 2016 #8
    They aren't humans, they have genetic differences, most notably their cells have Midi-chlorian, which ours do not. They can also breathe on planets that would kill us. I just assumed they are a species that went through a similar evolution to us.

10. May 16, 2016 #9
    I've always wondered how you end up with a name like Luke Skywalker in a world completely separate from our own. Skywalker I'll accept because it's pretty common in fantasy and science fiction to give English translations of names. But Luke? That makes no sense.

11. May 16, 2016 #10

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@Willfrid Somogyi are you saying only humans are 'people' in Star Wars? No Bothans, Wookies, nor the 'it's a trap' fishmen? I sense some disturbing level of imperial specieism here.
    Hold on a second, Kylo Ren, is that you masquerading as a regular person again?

12. May 17, 2016 #11
    You got me!

13. May 17, 2016 #12
    You can't prove that, I've got the force man! We just cant detect them yet

14. May 17, 2016 #13
    named after the vegetable?

15. May 17, 2016 #14
    * moncalamari

16. Jun 12, 2016 #15
    It's important to remember that when watching Starwars, we are watching a "reconstruction" of the real events ;)

17. Jun 12, 2016 #16
    One commentator came up with an interesting idea: Are ALL the Sturmtruppen human? As they are "recruited" is it possible that more than one species is used?

18. Jun 12, 2016 #17
    they are all human mostly coz the empires racist/speciesest
    but some are female

19. Jun 12, 2016 #18
    But wouldn't they be more likely to use non-"humans" as cannon-fodder then?

20. Jun 12, 2016 #19
    Storm troopers are not the core infantry
    they are a cut above like the marines so aliens may be allowed in less elite groups but not stormtrooper

21. Jun 12, 2016 #20
    I'm not so deep into the whole mythos to know there were different levels of troops.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted