What Species are "People" in Star Wars?

Main Question or Discussion Point

One big plot hole seems to be the fact Star Wars is set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away and yet somehow there are humans. Can anyone tell me whether they are actually humans or whether they just have an extremely uncanny resemblance but are in fact another species, is there concrete evidence of this?

Answers and Replies

They'd be well beyond the span of a typical race if they were the same species as Earthly humans. Plus Lucas was emphatic that they'd never reach Earth. So we'd have to go with parallel evolution. Seems the midichlorians like intelligent species, they made so many. In that environment I think something close to humans would have a good chance of evolving. (100% pure SWAG on my part, of course.)

They'd be well beyond the span of a typical race if they were the same species as Earthly humans. Plus Lucas was emphatic that they'd never reach Earth. So we'd have to go with parallel evolution. Seems the midichlorians like intelligent species, they made so many. In that environment I think something close to humans would have a good chance of evolving. (100% pure SWAG on my part, of course.)
I suppose the fact they speak English is just pure conicidence XD

Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
Ah, that's just the TARDIS making everything sound and look right by telepathy.

Oh, wrong show! :wink:

At least one science fiction show (but I can't remember which) explained such things away by saying that for purposes of telling the story, images as well as sounds have been automatically translated in order to make them more comprehensible to the audience.

Last edited:
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The language and concepts are translated by the camera into a form we can understand here on Earth. Or maybe it's just the force.

Edit: Dang, Jonathan Scott beat me to this!

The language and concepts are translated by the camera into a form we can understand here on Earth. Or maybe it's just the force.

Edit: Dang, Jonathan Scott beat me to this!
Ah, that's just the TARDIS making everything sound and look right by telepathy.

Oh, wrong show! :wink:

At least one science fiction show (but I can't remember which) explained such things away by saying that for purposes of telling the story, images as well as sounds have been automatically translated in order to make them more comprehensible to the audience.
I think Lucas' scrolling pre-text should have been used to explain these instead of some civil war backstory.

they speak galactic basic.
and write it too
not all species can actually speak it but most understand it.

They aren't humans, they have genetic differences, most notably their cells have Midi-chlorian, which ours do not. They can also breathe on planets that would kill us. I just assumed they are a species that went through a similar evolution to us.

I've always wondered how you end up with a name like Luke Skywalker in a world completely separate from our own. Skywalker I'll accept because it's pretty common in fantasy and science fiction to give English translations of names. But Luke? That makes no sense.

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
@Willfrid Somogyi are you saying only humans are 'people' in Star Wars? No Bothans, Wookies, nor the 'it's a trap' fishmen? I sense some disturbing level of imperial specieism here.
Hold on a second, Kylo Ren, is that you masquerading as a regular person again?

most notably their cells have Midi-chlorian, which ours do not.
You can't prove that, I've got the force man! We just cant detect them yet

I've always wondered how you end up with a name like Luke Skywalker in a world completely separate from our own. Skywalker I'll accept because it's pretty common in fantasy and science fiction to give English translations of names. But Luke? That makes no sense.
named after the vegetable?

@Willfrid Somogyi are you saying only humans are 'people' in Star Wars? No Bothans, Wookies, nor the 'it's a trap' fishmen*? I sense some disturbing level of imperial specieism here.
Hold on a second, Kylo Ren, is that you masquerading as a regular person again?
* moncalamari

It's important to remember that when watching Starwars, we are watching a "reconstruction" of the real events ;)

One commentator came up with an interesting idea: Are ALL the Sturmtruppen human? As they are "recruited" is it possible that more than one species is used?

they are all human mostly coz the empires racist/speciesest
but some are female

they are all human mostly coz the empires racist/speciesest
but some are female
But wouldn't they be more likely to use non-"humans" as cannon-fodder then?

Storm troopers are not the core infantry
they are a cut above like the marines so aliens may be allowed in less elite groups but not stormtrooper

Storm troopers are not the core infantry
they are a cut above like the marines so aliens may be allowed in less elite groups but not stormtrooper
I'm not so deep into the whole mythos to know there were different levels of troops.

I AM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

I AM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:
I don't speak Klingon or Elvish, either. I'm not very good at being a nerd.

Klingon forgivable. but ELVISH? how. next you will say you cant read dwarfish and call Mithrandil Gandalf

Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
... and call Mithrandil Gandalf
Do you mean Mithrandir, his name in Elvish, or is the spelling Mithrandil also used?

both spelling are used
but mithrandil is his spoken name by a lot of races that don't speak elvish