What Species are "People" in Star Wars?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
29 replies · 5K views
Willfrid Somogyi
Messages
21
Reaction score
4
One big plot hole seems to be the fact Star Wars is set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away and yet somehow there are humans. Can anyone tell me whether they are actually humans or whether they just have an extremely uncanny resemblance but are in fact another species, is there concrete evidence of this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They'd be well beyond the span of a typical race if they were the same species as Earthly humans. Plus Lucas was emphatic that they'd never reach Earth. So we'd have to go with parallel evolution. Seems the midichlorians like intelligent species, they made so many. In that environment I think something close to humans would have a good chance of evolving. (100% pure SWAG on my part, of course.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
Noisy Rhysling said:
They'd be well beyond the span of a typical race if they were the same species as Earthly humans. Plus Lucas was emphatic that they'd never reach Earth. So we'd have to go with parallel evolution. Seems the midichlorians like intelligent species, they made so many. In that environment I think something close to humans would have a good chance of evolving. (100% pure SWAG on my part, of course.)
I suppose the fact they speak English is just pure conicidence XD
 
Willfrid Somogyi said:
I suppose the fact they speak English is just pure conicidence XD
Ah, that's just the TARDIS making everything sound and look right by telepathy.

Oh, wrong show! :wink:

At least one science fiction show (but I can't remember which) explained such things away by saying that for purposes of telling the story, images as well as sounds have been automatically translated in order to make them more comprehensible to the audience.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
Willfrid Somogyi said:
I suppose the fact they speak English is just pure conicidence XD

The language and concepts are translated by the camera into a form we can understand here on Earth. Or maybe it's just the force.

Edit: Dang, Jonathan Scott beat me to this!
 
Drakkith said:
The language and concepts are translated by the camera into a form we can understand here on Earth. Or maybe it's just the force.

Edit: Dang, Jonathan Scott beat me to this!
Jonathan Scott said:
Ah, that's just the TARDIS making everything sound and look right by telepathy.

Oh, wrong show! :wink:

At least one science fiction show (but I can't remember which) explained such things away by saying that for purposes of telling the story, images as well as sounds have been automatically translated in order to make them more comprehensible to the audience.

I think Lucas' scrolling pre-text should have been used to explain these instead of some civil war backstory.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
Willfrid Somogyi said:
I suppose the fact they speak English is just pure conicidence XD
they speak galactic basic.
and write it too
not all species can actually speak it but most understand it.
 
They aren't humans, they have genetic differences, most notably their cells have Midi-chlorian, which ours do not. They can also breathe on planets that would kill us. I just assumed they are a species that went through a similar evolution to us.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
I've always wondered how you end up with a name like Luke Skywalker in a world completely separate from our own. Skywalker I'll accept because it's pretty common in fantasy and science fiction to give English translations of names. But Luke? That makes no sense.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
@Willfrid Somogyi are you saying only humans are 'people' in Star Wars? No Bothans, Wookies, nor the 'it's a trap' fishmen? I sense some disturbing level of imperial specieism here.
Hold on a second, Kylo Ren, is that you masquerading as a regular person again?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
Bandersnatch said:
@Willfrid Somogyi
Hold on a second, Kylo Ren, is that you masquerading as a regular person again?
You got me!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
newjerseyrunner said:
most notably their cells have Midi-chlorian, which ours do not.

You can't prove that, I've got the force man! We just can't detect them yet
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Joshua Brenneman and James Holland
rwm4768 said:
I've always wondered how you end up with a name like Luke Skywalker in a world completely separate from our own. Skywalker I'll accept because it's pretty common in fantasy and science fiction to give English translations of names. But Luke? That makes no sense.
named after the vegetable?
 
Bandersnatch said:
@Willfrid Somogyi are you saying only humans are 'people' in Star Wars? No Bothans, Wookies, nor the 'it's a trap' fishmen*? I sense some disturbing level of imperial specieism here.
Hold on a second, Kylo Ren, is that you masquerading as a regular person again?
* moncalamari
 
It's important to remember that when watching Starwars, we are watching a "reconstruction" of the real events ;)
 
One commentator came up with an interesting idea: Are ALL the Sturmtruppen human? As they are "recruited" is it possible that more than one species is used?
 
they are all human mostly coz the empires racist/speciesest
but some are female
 
James Holland said:
they are all human mostly coz the empires racist/speciesest
but some are female
But wouldn't they be more likely to use non-"humans" as cannon-fodder then?
 
Storm troopers are not the core infantry
they are a cut above like the marines so aliens may be allowed in less elite groups but not stormtrooper
 
James Holland said:
Storm troopers are not the core infantry
they are a cut above like the marines so aliens may be allowed in less elite groups but not stormtrooper
I'm not so deep into the whole mythos to know there were different levels of troops.
 
James Holland said:
I AM !:cry:
I don't speak Klingon or Elvish, either. I'm not very good at being a nerd.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
Klingon forgivable. but ELVISH? how. next you will say you can't read dwarfish and call Mithrandil Gandalf
 
James Holland said:
... and call Mithrandil Gandalf
Do you mean Mithrandir, his name in Elvish, or is the spelling Mithrandil also used?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
both spelling are used
but mithrandil is his spoken name by a lot of races that don't speak elvish
 
James Holland said:
both spelling are used
but mithrandil is his spoken name by a lot of races that don't speak elvish
Thanks; I never had time to read more than The Hobbit, and that was probably over 50 years ago.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
James Holland said:
both spelling are used
but mithrandil is his spoken name by a lot of races that don't speak elvish
Is that The Common Tongue?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
no its more nobility and rulers that name him in such a way