What Surfaces Can Be Described Using Cylindrical Coordinates?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary, the conversation is discussing the surfaces r=constant, θ=constant and z=constant in the cylindrical coordinate system. These surfaces are defined by the equations x=r cos θ, y=r sin θ, and z=z. The conversation also ponders what these surfaces would be in $\mathbb{R}^3$, with one participant suggesting that using the equations x=rcosθ, y=rsinθ, and z=z would make it easier to understand. Ultimately, it is determined that the surface described by r=k, where k is a constant, is a circle in every plane z=ℓ.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I am looking at an exercise that asks to describe the surfaces r=constant, θ=constant and z=constant in the cylindrical coordinate system.

The cylindrical coordinates are $(r, \theta , z)$, that are defined by $x=r \cos \theta , y=r \sin \theta , z=z$

$r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}, z=z , \theta=\arctan (\frac{y}{x} )$

r=constant=c: $c=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} \Rightarrow x^2+y^2=c^2$ Is this a circle?? (Wondering)

θ=constant=k: What can we say at this case?? (Wondering)

z=constant=m: How can we use this to find the surface?? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like what is described here is a line parallel to the $z$-axis...

MarkFL said:
It sounds to me like what is described here is a line parallel to the $z$-axis...

Do we not have to find the surface r=constant, the surface θ=constant and the surface z=constant ?? (Wondering)

Are we looking for only one surface?? (Wondering)

Are the 3 conditions all to be met simultaneously or are these separate conditions?

MarkFL said:
Are the 3 conditions all to be met simultaneously or are these separate conditions?

I thought that these 3 conditions are separate since we are asked to describe the surfaces.

Okay...what do you think $r=k$ where $k$ is a real constant describes?

mathmari said:
I thought that these 3 conditions are separate since we are asked to describe the surfaces.

I have edited the thread title to indicate the fact that surfaces is plural. :D

MarkFL said:
Okay...what do you think $r=k$ where $k$ is a real constant describes?
Then we have $x^2+y^2=k^2$. If we were in $\mathbb{R}^2$ it would be a circle, right?? (Wondering) but now we are looking in $\mathbb{R}^3$. What is it now?? (Wondering)
MarkFL said:
I have edited the thread title to indicate the fact that surfaces is plural. :D

OK... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
Then we have $x^2+y^2=k^2$. If we were in $\mathbb{R}^2$ it would be a circle, right?? (Wondering) but noiw we are looking in $\mathbb{R}^3$. What is it now?? (Wondering)

Right, but you are missing the free variable $z$, so ...

I think it will be easier this time using $x=rcos\theta, \ y=rsin\theta,\ z=z$ rather than the equations you seem to be using in order to see what surface is when one of the variables is constant.

Fallen Angel said:
Right, but you are missing the free variable $z$, so ...

I think it will be easier this time using $x=rcos\theta, \ y=rsin\theta,\ z=z$ rather than the equations you seem to be using in order to see what surface is when one of the variables is constant.

Using $x=r \cos \theta$, $y=r \sin \theta$ and $z=z$ and knowing that $r=\text{ constant }=k$, we have that $x=k \cos \theta$ and $y=k \sin \theta$.

How can we see in that way which the surface is?? (Wondering)

We would have $r=k$ for all $z$...so in every plane $z=\ell$, we would have a circle...what surface does this describe?

1. What are the different types of surfaces?

There are three main types of surfaces: solid, liquid, and gas. Solid surfaces have a defined shape and volume, liquid surfaces have a defined volume but take the shape of their container, and gas surfaces have neither a defined shape nor volume.

2. How do you describe the texture of a surface?

Texture is described by the physical properties of a surface, such as roughness, smoothness, or softness. It can also be described by the appearance, such as bumpy, grainy, or silky.

3. What is the significance of surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that holds the molecules of a liquid together at the surface. It is important because it allows insects to walk on water and helps plants absorb water from the ground.

4. How do you measure the surface area of an irregular object?

To measure the surface area of an irregular object, you can use the water displacement method. First, measure the volume of water in a container. Then, submerge the object in the water and measure the new volume. The difference between the two volumes is the volume of the object. Then, use the formula SA = 6V/A where SA is the surface area, V is the volume, and A is the length of one side of the object.

5. How does the surface affect chemical reactions?

The surface of a substance can greatly affect the rate of a chemical reaction. A larger surface area means more molecules are exposed to each other, increasing the chances of a reaction. This is why powders or small particles react faster than large chunks of the same substance.