Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What the heck is a Potential Well?

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1
    Hi, I'm reading my semiconductors book and I have NO idea about what this is. I don't really understand what a potential well is. They say that it can form new devices, but never says how.

Wikipedia isn't helping either. Anyone care to jump in?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Your semiconductor book doesn't require you to know a bit of quantum physics before reading it?

Zz.

4. Oct 28, 2007 #3
    Ok If i'm reading this right, a potential well is when either the conduction or valence band has a spike, where in this spike, it can trap charge careers?

and Zapper, I was looking at your blog, specifically at your blogpost "The Black Hole" where you post a video of you being on comedy central. Congrats. Which one is you?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  5. Oct 28, 2007 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I can't say anything about what you are reading. However, a "potential well" is any "depression" in the profile of the potential energy. For example, a harmonic oscillator has a potential well described by [itex]V(x) = -kx^2[/itex]. You can also have a square potential well, which is what most students in quantum mechanics would encounter, etc.. etc. You can sort of think of it as a "valley", where particles not having enough energy will usually be confined within that well.

The ugly one! :)

Zz.

6. Oct 28, 2007 #5
    I'm guessing you're the guy in the blue shirt with glasses, cause I think thats the only time when the video shows a clip of a guy for 1.5 sec. Am I right :) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?