• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What the heck is Analytics Geometry Calculus

• Thread starter undrcvrbro
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was really excited because I tested into this calc class for my first semester as a freshman , and then I realized..I don't really know what it is. Is "Analytic Geometry Calculus 1" any different from a normal calc 1 class? What should I expect from this course?

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
undrcvrbro, relaaaxxx! That will be the usual name for "Calculus 1". You will use the same analytical geometry which you learned in Intermediate Algebra, as well as other algebraic and geometric formulaic descriptions as starter material for illustrating Calculus principles. So, usually, especially for science students, "Analytical Geometry and Caclulus 1" is the same as "Calculus 1".

Math, physics, and some engineering majors at my school take a calculus series "Calculus with Analytic Geometry" 1, 2, and 3. This is as opposed to "Applied Calculus" 1 and 2 for other sciences and some engineering disciplines, and "Concepts of Calculus" for business majors.

That said, the "with Analytic Geometry" one is the "normal" calculus series. Analytic geometry is exactly what the name suggests. You learn calculus in the context of some kind of coordinate system.

symbolipoint I am relaxed...just curious, that's all. Thanks guys. Oh, and uh, one more thing...Does anyone have a clue as to what the course Chemical Engineering Computations might be?

jtbell
Mentor
Doesn't your university have course descriptions somewhere on its Web site? They might be PDF files from the official catalog or "academic bulletin."

Doesn't your university have course descriptions somewhere on its Web site? They might be PDF files from the official catalog or "academic bulletin."
Hey thanks for reminding me jtbell. I forgot I even had a course catalog, because I got it practically six months ago, and it had become covered in the mountain high pile of letters I got from colleges. Ugh. Apparently it has some basic computer programming...if I have absolutely no experience with programming, will I struggle?

Hey thanks for reminding me jtbell. I forgot I even had a course catalog, because I got it practically six months ago, and it had become covered in the mountain high pile of letters I got from colleges. Ugh. Apparently it has some basic computer programming...if I have absolutely no experience with programming, will I struggle?
Programming == math
Good at math/logics == good at programming.

Some people find programming extremely hard; I really don't know why. But, most people ,good in math, learn programming very easily.

Programming == math

Some people find programming extremely hard; I really don't know why. But, most people ,good in math, learn programming very easily.
Nice. I should be fine then. Thanks.

Programming == math

I wouldn't say this is set in stone. I know quite a few people who are wonderful at math but jsut aren't computer savy. They struggle more than the rest of us with Maple/Mathematica/Matlab/ programing.

That being said, not having programing experience shouldn't be much of a set back as I can guarantee you are not the only one. It just takes some getting used to same as a foreign language only its easier because its roughly in English still