1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What the heck is Analytics Geometry Calculus

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    I was really excited because I tested into this calc class for my first semester as a freshman , and then I realized..I don't really know what it is. Is "Analytic Geometry Calculus 1" any different from a normal calc 1 class? What should I expect from this course?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

undrcvrbro, relaaaxxx! That will be the usual name for "Calculus 1". You will use the same analytical geometry which you learned in Intermediate Algebra, as well as other algebraic and geometric formulaic descriptions as starter material for illustrating Calculus principles. So, usually, especially for science students, "Analytical Geometry and Caclulus 1" is the same as "Calculus 1".
  4. Apr 15, 2008 #3
    Math, physics, and some engineering majors at my school take a calculus series "Calculus with Analytic Geometry" 1, 2, and 3. This is as opposed to "Applied Calculus" 1 and 2 for other sciences and some engineering disciplines, and "Concepts of Calculus" for business majors.

That said, the "with Analytic Geometry" one is the "normal" calculus series. Analytic geometry is exactly what the name suggests. You learn calculus in the context of some kind of coordinate system.
  5. Apr 15, 2008 #4
    symbolipoint I am relaxed...just curious, that's all. Thanks guys. Oh, and uh, one more thing...Does anyone have a clue as to what the course Chemical Engineering Computations might be?
  6. Apr 15, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

Doesn't your university have course descriptions somewhere on its Web site? They might be PDF files from the official catalog or "academic bulletin."
  7. Apr 16, 2008 #6
    Hey thanks for reminding me jtbell. I forgot I even had a course catalog, because I got it practically six months ago, and it had become covered in the mountain high pile of letters I got from colleges. Ugh. Apparently it has some basic computer programming...if I have absolutely no experience with programming, will I struggle?
  8. Apr 16, 2008 #7
    Programming == math
    Good at math/logics == good at programming.

Some people find programming extremely hard; I really don't know why. But, most people ,good in math, learn programming very easily.
  9. Apr 16, 2008 #8
    Nice. I should be fine then. Thanks.
  10. Apr 16, 2008 #9
    I wouldn't say this is set in stone. I know quite a few people who are wonderful at math but jsut aren't computer savy. They struggle more than the rest of us with Maple/Mathematica/Matlab/ programing.

That being said, not having programing experience shouldn't be much of a set back as I can guarantee you are not the only one. It just takes some getting used to same as a foreign language only its easier because its roughly in English still
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?