What thick plate of plexi I need for my vacuumchamber

  • Thread starter Thread starter emile1990
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
emile1990
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Hello,

I would like to build a Vacuum chamber for -29Hg(-1bar).
The Chamber that I'll be using will be 0.157 icnhes(4mm) cooking pot.
Diameter around 10'' and 9'' tall. I also want to heat up to chamber between 100-160F(40-70 celsius).
The chamber will be used for degassing Buthane out of a substance and for degassing silicones etc...

As I look on the internet allot of people use Plexiglass(acryl).
I was wondering how thick of a plate I would need to use for the lid of the chamber and does it mater
if it's square of circle ?

This is what I would like it to look like:

http://www.bestvaluevacs.com/3gvac.html

I hope some one could tell me.

I'll be using a 3-5CFM pump 2 stage 150< micron

Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is a complex stress analysis problem due to the "cooking pot" geometry.
The biggest problem I see is: Plexiglas is NOT the same as Acrylic. Plexiglas is tough, will not shatter, and is expensive. Acrylic is brittle, shatters, and is inexpensive. Tread carefully through this minefield laddie, there be beasties lurking about. I'd suggest your wall thickness needs to increase substantially. And be sure you are wearing protective eyewear. Maybe even a flak jacket.

There are cylindrical vacuum vessels available from lab equipment supply vendors. Perhaps you should look into it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd
Thread will remain locked as a dangerous discussion violation.

Here is some good advice from one of the PF users who reported this thread as a dangerous discussion:

That one for sale is $115. Buy it instead of cobbling together your own. Surely a finger or an eye is worth $115?