What times it takes for the ball to drop?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Serious Max
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Drop
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Serious Max
Messages
37
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


When you drop an object from a certain height, it takes time T to reach the ground with no air resistance. If you dropped it from three times that height, how long (in terms of T) would it take to reach the ground?

Homework Equations


##x=x_0+v_{0x}t+\frac{1}{2}a_x t^2##

The Attempt at a Solution


Did I solve it correctly?

##0=h+\frac{1}{2}(-g)T^2##

##h=\frac{1}{2}gT^2##

Now we take 3 times the height and substitute it:

##0=3\cdot\frac{1}{2}gT^2+\frac{1}{2}(-g)t^2##

##t^2=\dfrac{3}{2}gT^2\cdot \dfrac{2}{g}##

##t^2=3T^2##

##t=\sqrt{3T^2}##
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct. Do you have any doubts?
 
maxpancho said:

Homework Statement


When you drop an object from a certain height, it takes time T to reach the ground with no air resistance. If you dropped it from three times that height, how long (in terms of T) would it take to reach the ground?

Homework Equations


##x=x_0+v_{0x}t+\frac{1}{2}a_x t^2##

The Attempt at a Solution


Did I solve it correctly?

##0=h+\frac{1}{2}(-g)T^2##

##h=\frac{1}{2}gT^2##

Now we take 3 times the height and substitute it:

##0=3\cdot\frac{1}{2}gT^2+\frac{1}{2}(-g)t^2##

##t^2=\dfrac{3}{2}gT^2\cdot \dfrac{2}{g}##

##t^2=3T^2##

##t=\sqrt{3T^2}##

Or, simplifying, ##t=\sqrt{3} T##
 
Just checking. I solved it incorrectly a couple times. And actually corrected it as I was posting it here, when I realized I made a mistake once again.

SteamKing, right. That's better :).Thanks.