What times would be best for a mathematics club? Meetings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlfredPyo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathematics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
AlfredPyo
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
So the time I have is 9:00 - 2:00 on saturdays. But I don't want to have the lecture day for my mathematics club too long. But I want it long enough so that the whole club can prepare for future mathematics competitions.

So I need enough time for the entire year to teach the whole club: differential equations, discrete mathematics, and some linear algebra.

I am also available on fridays 2:45 - 5:00. How should I organize the times? Should I separate the lecture days for my club into two different days? I really want to let them have enough time to prepare.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You could base your starting time and duration on some math constant like 3:14pm or 1:41pm.

you could assign khans video to watch for the next meeting then do some group problems on that topic with a teaser problem and video link for the next meeting.
 
jedishrfu said:
You could base your starting time and duration on some math constant like 3:14pm or 1:41pm.

Sorry, but I meant 9:00 A.M. - 2:00 P.M. on saturdays and 2:45 - 5:00 P.M. on fridays. So back to the topic, which time interval do you think would be the best? Please be reasonable.
 
weekdays are better especially if people are already around. Midweek works better too ie not Moday or Friday so try Tuesday or Thursday as most well thought out meetings will already be assigned on Wednesday.

Timewise say 1pm ie after lunch or 10am so when you convene at 11am then people can start thinking about lunch.

Okay just reread your post: I'd go with Fridays say 2:45 to 3:45 with extendability to 5pm. Saturday people get busy with other things and won't show up.
 
Ok, I know that there are saturday people. But there aren't many saturday people in the morning unless you're doing sports. I just need a handful of people that are willing to do math club.