What to do about grad school? What does an engineer do on a day to day basis?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
zoobe13
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I’m currently a physics/math major. I work very hard and am proud of my 4.0 GPA. However, as my peers and professors begin to talk about grad school I realize I don’t have a clue what I'm supposed to do. My goal is to go to Penn State for an advanced degree in some type of engineering or physics. I have several questions if anyone can answer any of them at all that would be great.

What do I do about getting accepted to grad school? I'm going to try to apply to REU's over the summer but are there other things I should be doing to improve my chance of getting accepted?

If I get into grad school for physics I would really enjoy being a professor someday, but I hear so many negatives about the profession (long hours, under paid, stressful, etc.). What is it really like? At the university I go to they seem to love their jobs and what they do.

Finally, What exactly does an engineer do? If I got an advanced degree in some field of engineering what do they do on a day to day basis?


I hope someone will be able to at least answer some of my questions. I love physics and building things but when it finally comes time to seriously consider grad school I want to be sure I'm doing what I need to get me where I want to go.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zoobe13 said:
What do I do about getting accepted to grad school? I'm going to try to apply to REU's over the summer but are there other things I should be doing to improve my chance of getting accepted?
A 4.0 GPA is a great start. REUs would contribute to the cause. Graduate schools would also like to see a longer-term research effort with a professor working in some area of engineering, preferably the one you want to go into.

Finally, What exactly does an engineer do? If I got an advanced degree in some field of engineering what do they do on a day to day basis?

Varies greatly. Circuit design, management, drawing review, and lots of other things are all possible if not probable.