What to do in the summer between soph/junior

• Thread starter theDRG5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summer
In summary: If the deadlines aren't past, apply to REUs! Even if you don't get accepted, you'll gain experience with the application process so you'll be better prepared next year. Having some EE under your belt may actually help you get into an REU, in fact; my experience is that potential advisors/mentors for a summer program want someone who can get work accomplished right away, and that may involve electronics work.
theDRG5
I'm a sophomore who recently switched from EE to physics, and now I am kind of lost as to what to do with my summer. Seems that industry internships all wants engineers, and research opportunities are all targeted towards people who finished their Junior/Senior year. I understand that a lot of people apply for REU's, but is there any other things that I could do?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the deadlines aren't past, apply to REUs! Even if you don't get accepted, you'll gain experience with the application process so you'll be better prepared next year. Having some EE under your belt may actually help you get into an REU, in fact; my experience is that potential advisors/mentors for a summer program want someone who can get work accomplished right away, and that may involve electronics work.

As for what else can you do, check out the SULI program (google it) sponsored by the DOE. I did an internsihp at NREL last summer through that program. Or you can tell us what interests you and maybe someone will have a better suggestion.

theDRG5 said:
I understand that a lot of people apply for REU's, but is there any other things that I could do?
Work with a professor at your home school. Take summer courses, at your school or at the school by your parents if you're dorming. Do a summer abroad instead of a semester abroad. Save the world by joining a habitat for humanity project or volunteering for a summer tutoring enrichment program for kids. Or just take a vacation if you're feeling burnt out.

What's your life plan and what do you want to do for a summer?

story645 said:
What's your life plan and what do you want to do for a summer?

Well, last summer I ended up doing absolutely nothing so I'm trying to make sure that I do something productive and have something to put on my resume when it comes time to apply for grad schools. As for "life plans", at the moment, its just getting through school, I plan to go for my phd.

And I am applying for bunch of REU's, I'm just worried because I heard they are extremely competitive to get into.

1. What are some ways to gain experience in my field during the summer?

One way to gain experience in your field during the summer is to participate in research programs or internships. These opportunities allow you to work with professionals in your field and gain hands-on experience. You can also attend workshops, conferences, or seminars related to your field to broaden your knowledge and network with others in the industry.

2. Should I focus on a specific area of my field during the summer?

It is beneficial to focus on a specific area of your field during the summer to gain in-depth knowledge and skills. This can help you stand out in the job market and make you a more competitive candidate for future opportunities. However, it is also important to have a well-rounded understanding of your field, so don't be afraid to explore different areas and topics.

3. Can I take classes during the summer to get ahead in my studies?

Yes, you can take classes during the summer to get ahead in your studies. Many universities offer summer classes, both in-person and online, that allow you to earn credits and potentially graduate earlier. However, make sure to carefully plan your summer schedule and workload to avoid burnout.

4. How can I balance work and relaxation during the summer?

It is important to find a balance between work and relaxation during the summer. Prioritize your goals and commitments, but also make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care. This could include spending time outdoors, pursuing hobbies, or spending quality time with friends and family.

5. Should I use the summer to prepare for graduate school or future job opportunities?

The summer is a great time to prepare for graduate school or future job opportunities. You can use this time to study for entrance exams, work on your resume and cover letter, and research potential graduate programs or job opportunities. It is also a good idea to reach out to professors or professionals in your field for advice and networking opportunities.