What to type on DOS to repeat the last command

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dos Type
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the up arrow key or <F3> as a shortcut to repeat the last command typed in a DOS box. It is also mentioned that on some older operating systems, the command DOSKEY may need to be typed first before the recall feature works. Additionally, <F7> can be used to bring up a history of commands and the left and right arrow keys can be used to edit a command. One participant also brings up a problem with accessing file contents through DOS, but this issue is not further discussed.
fourier jr
does anyone remember DOS? what do I type to repeat the last thing I typed, instead of typing it all out again, if there is such a thing?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If I recall correctly you can just press the up arrow

junglebeast said:
If I recall correctly you can just press the up arrow

On some older OS's implementation of the DOS box, you may need to type DOSKEY first, before the up arrow recall feature works. In your DOS box, just type HELP DOSKEY to learn more about the function. You can try the up arrow to see if it works at recalling the last command. If it doesn't, just type DOSKEY, and after that (in that active DOS window), it should keep working.

Last edited:
wow that's even easier than I thought... thanks for the tip :smile:

Up arrow or <F3> still work in the dos console window. <F7> brings up a history of commands, allowing you to choose one from the list.

the up -down key will do.but i have a problem accessing files contentsthrough the dos .when i type "type"

Yes, as said, F3 repeats the previous command or the up arrow key... You can then use the left and right arrow keys to edit the line.

j

1. What is the shortcut to repeat the last command on DOS?

The shortcut to repeat the last command on DOS is the "up" arrow key. This will automatically bring up the last command entered in the command prompt.

2. Can I use a specific key to repeat the last command on DOS?

Yes, you can use the "F7" key to bring up a list of previously entered commands. From there, you can select the command you want to repeat.

3. Is there a way to repeat multiple commands on DOS?

Yes, you can use the "DOSKEY" command followed by the "/history" command to view a list of previously entered commands. You can then use the "up" arrow key to select and repeat multiple commands.

4. Can I repeat the last command on DOS without using the keyboard?

Yes, you can use the "Ctrl" + "R" shortcut to search for and repeat the last command on DOS without using the keyboard.

5. What if I want to repeat a specific command on DOS?

If you want to repeat a specific command, you can use the "DOSKEY" command followed by the "/history" command to view a list of previously entered commands. You can then use the "up" arrow key to select and repeat the specific command you want.