What topics are covered in Keith R. Symon's Mechanics textbook?

• Classical
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, "Mechanics" by Keith R. Symon is an older book that was used by the reviewer in 1979 to study for a physics qualifying exam. The reviewer found it to be better than other classical mechanics books, particularly in its discussions of Kepler's problem and the forced harmonic oscillator. The chapters on rigid body mechanics and general relativity were also praised. The reviewer recommends that instructors consider using this book for their students.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I note I am the only one reviewing this book so far. It is an old book I used in 1979 to study for physics qualifying exam. I used Marion (no Thornton in those days) classical mech but I thought Symon was better.
I especially liked his discussion of Kepler's problem and the forced harmonic oscillator. His rigid body chapters are also good (4 and 5). The later chapters even go into general relativity. All told I hope an instructor re-orders this old book for his students. I feel it may be a diamond in the rough.

1. What is the main focus of "Mechanics by Keith R. Symon"?

The main focus of "Mechanics by Keith R. Symon" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of classical mechanics, including topics such as Newtonian mechanics, Lagrangian mechanics, and Hamiltonian mechanics.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is primarily undergraduate students in physics and engineering, but it can also be useful for graduate students and professionals in related fields.

3. Is prior knowledge of calculus required to understand this book?

Yes, a basic understanding of calculus is necessary to fully comprehend the concepts presented in "Mechanics by Keith R. Symon". However, the book includes a brief review of necessary mathematical tools in the beginning.

4. How is "Mechanics by Keith R. Symon" different from other textbooks on mechanics?

One key difference is that this book focuses on the development of the fundamental principles of mechanics, rather than simply presenting equations and their applications. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help reinforce the concepts.

5. Is this book suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Mechanics by Keith R. Symon" can be used for self-study as it includes clear explanations, examples, and exercises for independent learning. However, it is recommended to have a basic knowledge of calculus before attempting to study this book on your own.