What topics are covered in Keith R. Symon's Mechanics textbook?

  • Topic: Classical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mechanics

For those who have used this book


  • Total voters
    6
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
Physics news on Phys.org
I note I am the only one reviewing this book so far. It is an old book I used in 1979 to study for physics qualifying exam. I used Marion (no Thornton in those days) classical mech but I thought Symon was better.
I especially liked his discussion of Kepler's problem and the forced harmonic oscillator. His rigid body chapters are also good (4 and 5). The later chapters even go into general relativity. All told I hope an instructor re-orders this old book for his students. I feel it may be a diamond in the rough.