Thoughts about Keith R Symon's textbook

In summary, a student is seeking recommendations for a more challenging textbook on classical mechanics after enjoying working through John R Taylor's "Classical Mechanics". Two textbooks, "Symon's" and "Goldstein's", are suggested by other users, with the student expressing interest in working through both. The discussion also includes a recommendation for "Marion and Thornton" as a solid foundation for further studies in solid mechanics and quantum mechanics.
Bleakfacade
Hello there, I am an undergraduate student in my final year. I have been using classical mechanics by John R Taylor, which I should say I have absolutely enjoyed working through so far. I now feel I am prepared for a slightly more challenging set of problems and mathematical rigour. My professor suggested to me this textbook, https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201073927/?tag=pfamazon01-20.
Having never used nor heard of this book(no offence intended to enthusiasts, if any at all :smile:), I would greatle appreciate your thoughts about this book. I thank you all in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:

I have worked through M&T in a lot of detail. I am only left with the problems from continuous systems and special relativity. The aim is to work through Goldstein's as soon as possible. I felt I needed an abridgement before I begin Goldstein's. Do you reckon M&T would be enough? Can I start Goldstein's if I have worked through M&T and Taylor's?

Bleakfacade said:
I have worked through M&T in a lot of detail. I am only left with the problems from continuous systems and special relativity. The aim is to work through Goldstein's as soon as possible. I felt I needed an abridgement before I begin Goldstein's. Do you reckon M&T would be enough? Can I start Goldstein's if I have worked through M&T and Taylor's?

I think you'll have no problem if you try hard enough. You won't need to cover all chapters of the Goldstein though because the chapters on canonical transformations, Hamilton-Jacobi theory, Chaos and Perturbation theory are not part of standard courses on classical mechanics.

alan2 said:
If you've finished Marion and understood it I suggest https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486696901/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Can't go wrong at the price. Some people might like Goldstein but I find it a bit verbose. Greenwood gets to the point.

Thank you Alan, I will go through this book.

@Shyan: The intention is to go into the very heart of classical mechanics. I want to have a well hardened foundation before I start solid mechanics and Quantum mechanics. However, I appreciate your advice.

Symon is a good classical mechanics textbook at roughly the same level as Marion and Thornton. I recommend it. It may be a little harder to find than Marion. I used it to for my qualifying exam in the 1970's. It is not as well known these days but your professor was right to recommend it.

1. What are the main concepts covered in Keith R Symon's textbook?

The main concepts covered in Keith R Symon's textbook include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It also covers topics such as kinematics, dynamics, thermodynamics, and special relativity.

2. Is Keith R Symon's textbook suitable for beginners?

Yes, Keith R Symon's textbook is suitable for beginners as it provides a comprehensive introduction to the fundamental concepts of physics. It is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for beginners to understand.

3. Does Keith R Symon's textbook provide real-world examples and applications?

Yes, Keith R Symon's textbook provides numerous real-world examples and applications throughout the text. This helps students to better understand the concepts and see how they apply to the world around us.

4. Are there any online resources available for Keith R Symon's textbook?

Yes, there are various online resources available for Keith R Symon's textbook, including practice problems, interactive simulations, and lecture notes. These resources can be helpful for further understanding of the concepts covered in the textbook.

5. How does Keith R Symon's textbook compare to other textbooks on physics?

Keith R Symon's textbook is highly regarded in the scientific community and is often considered one of the best textbooks on physics. It is known for its clear explanations, comprehensive coverage of topics, and numerous real-world examples and applications.