What type of degree reflects this kind of expertise?

In summary, the conversation is about "information systems" and "computer security systems technology" which the person has not been able to find information about on their college's website. They mention the possibility of it being related to military software security and intelligence gathering. They ask for resources to learn more about this topic. Later on, they mention that it is actually called "Computer Security" and has various specializations.
DrCrowbar
Hello,

I've heard a bit about "information systems" and "computer security systems technology" but I haven't been able to find anything about this type of study at my college's website. I don't think these terms are correct, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something similar.

The context of such work could be military software security and intelligence gathering I guess... protecting our own networks from cyber-invasions and of course doing our own share of cyber-invasion.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to read up about this kind of stuff? I'm kind of curious about this.

Thanks.

-Drc

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Update: I found out some information on it.

Apparently it's just called "Computer Security" and there are a few specializations within it.

1. What is the most common degree for a scientist?

The most common degree for a scientist is a Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree. This degree typically requires 3-4 years of study in a specific field, such as biology, chemistry, physics, or environmental science.

2. What is the difference between a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts degree?

A Bachelor of Science degree typically focuses on scientific and technical subjects, such as mathematics, biology, or engineering. A Bachelor of Arts degree, on the other hand, typically focuses on liberal arts and humanities subjects, such as English, history, or philosophy.

3. Can a scientist have a degree in any field?

While many scientists have degrees in fields such as biology, chemistry, or physics, there are also scientists with degrees in other fields such as engineering, computer science, or psychology. What matters most is that the degree reflects the necessary knowledge and skills for the specific area of expertise.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary to become a scientist?

While a Bachelor's degree is the minimum requirement for many entry-level scientific positions, a graduate degree is often necessary for more advanced research or leadership roles. Many scientists hold Master of Science (MSc) or Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees in their respective fields.

5. Can a scientist have multiple degrees?

Yes, it is common for scientists to have multiple degrees, especially as they advance in their careers. For example, a scientist may hold a Bachelor's degree in one field and a Master's or PhD in another field related to their area of expertise. Additionally, many scientists continue to pursue additional education and training throughout their careers to stay current in their fields.