What Type of Energy Does a Blackboard Eraser Have?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
csurfus1
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What type of energy does a blackboard eraser have when I hold it steady three feet about the ground?

a. potential energy
b. kinetic energy
c. electrical energy
d. spring elastic energy

Homework Equations



none.

The Attempt at a Solution



I think it is kinetic energy. But I am confused on the differences of types of energies.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Potential Energy (Gravitational potential energy)
It does not have Kinetic energy because it is not in motion in your frame. (K.E = 1/2mv^2)

It does have Potential energy since you have done work (put energy into the system) in lifting the eraser up. That energy is stored as potential energy P.E = mgh ready to be released as kinetic as soon as you let the eraser go.