Combined Rotation and Translation of a Rectangular Plate

In summary, you need to give the object enough linear velocity so that it will rotate around its corner. However, this can be done in any direction, and it doesn't matter how much initial velocity is required.
xkcda
Homework Statement
A rectangular plate of mass 10 kg is at rest.It has a length of 4 meter and width of 3 meter.What is the minimum velocity required to make it rotating freely?
Relevant Equations
##I= \frac {M(l^2+b^2)} {12}##
##E=mgh##
##E=\frac {MV^2} {2}##
I tried to solve it using the work-energy theorem.The work done to make it stand on its one vertex should be equal to the change in its kinetic energy.
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-16 at 11.06.09 AM.jpeg

I am confused what will be the value of radius here? I have seen formula of kinetic energy for rolling of circular objects.Can anyone please derive a formula for kinetic energy of a rolling rectangular plate?

Physics news on Phys.org
xkcda said:
What is the minimum velocity required to make it rotating freely?
I have no idea what that means.
Judging from your diagram and working, the idea is to give it enough angular velocity from a position where it is lying on its long edge that it will turn right over onto its short edge. Is that it?

haruspex said:
I have no idea what that means.
Judging from your diagram and working, the idea is to give it enough angular velocity from a position where it is lying on its long edge that it will turn right over onto its short edge. Is that it?
enough linear velocity

Last edited:
xkcda said:
enough linear velocity
No amount of linear velocity will change the orientation of the object or make it rotate freely. Can you post the exact wording of your problem?

Nugatory said:
No amount of linear velocity will change the orientation of the object or make it rotate freely. Can you post the exact wording of your problem?
The term I use is tangential velocity.Rotational or circular motion may require a minimal linear velocity.For instance, the bare minimum speed necessary to finish a loop.
Note: I am unable to provide the exact wording because this problem is written in my mother tongue.

I think the only interpretation is to suppose that the front edge hits a small protuberance elastically. Then the question makes sense and the problem can be solved simply using conservation of energy.
For the minimum speed the object will rise to a balance point with no motion so $$v^2 =2gh$$ at h=0.5m (the CM elevation). Only higher speeds require moment of inertia explicitly.

• Informative
Likes xkcda
xkcda said:
Homework Statement: A rectangular plate of mass 10 kg is at rest.It has a length of 4 meter and width of 3 meter.What is the minimum velocity required to make it rotating freely?
I would do the calculation in reverse.
Balance the body over its corner, and let it fall over.
The tangential velocity with which the rotating corner is hitting the ground should be the minimum value that you are looking for.

• Love
Likes xkcda
xkcda said:
I can translate better than google:smile:
In terms of your algebra in post #1, the appropriate velocity is the initial instantaneous velocity of the mass centre of the plate. Note that this is not vertical.
Correspondingly, the rotation is about the fixed corner, so the radius is the distance to there.
But whether that is the velocity the original question asks for is unclear. A Google translation might help even if, overall, it is inferior to your own.
For one thing, it might produce correct English, which yours is not.

• Care
Likes xkcda and berkeman

1. What is combined rotation and translation of a rectangular plate?

Combined rotation and translation of a rectangular plate refers to the motion of a rectangular plate where both rotation and translation are occurring simultaneously. This can occur when the plate is attached to a rotating object or when the plate itself is moving and rotating at the same time.

2. What factors affect the combined rotation and translation of a rectangular plate?

The combined rotation and translation of a rectangular plate can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the plate, the speed of rotation and translation, the material properties of the plate, and any external forces acting on the plate.

3. How is the combined rotation and translation of a rectangular plate measured?

The combined rotation and translation of a rectangular plate can be measured using various methods such as motion sensors, accelerometers, and strain gauges. These devices can provide information on the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the plate, which can be used to calculate the combined motion.

4. What are the applications of combined rotation and translation of a rectangular plate?

The combined rotation and translation of a rectangular plate has various applications in engineering and science fields. It is commonly used in robotics, aerospace engineering, and vehicle dynamics to study and control the motion of objects. It is also used in biomechanics to understand the movement of human and animal limbs.

5. What are the challenges in studying the combined rotation and translation of a rectangular plate?

Studying the combined rotation and translation of a rectangular plate can be challenging due to the complex nature of the motion and the various factors that can affect it. Accurately measuring and analyzing the combined motion can also be difficult, as it requires specialized equipment and techniques. Additionally, the mathematical models used to describe the motion may be complex and require advanced knowledge in physics and mathematics.