What Type of Singularity is z=1 in the Function (z^2-1)/(z-1)^2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter csnsc14320
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Point Type
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
csnsc14320
Messages
57
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Say whether the indicated point is regular, an essential singularity, or a pole, and if a pole of what order it is.

[tex]\frac{z^2-1}{(z-1)^2}, z = 1[/tex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Right now I'm just sort of stuck on how to put this into a laurent series - I can't seem to expand the denominator in a series about 1 because I keep getting infinity :(

any hints or suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to do a full Laurent series. Just factor the numerator and denominator and simplify.
 
Dick said:
You don't have to do a full Laurent series. Just factor the numerator and denominator and simplify.

i found that it reduces to [tex]\frac{z+1}{z-1}[/tex] but again don't I have to expand this and i have the same problem?
 
I don't believe it reduces to (z+1)/(z-1). Did you enter the problem wrong? If not, try that again and show you did it.
 
Dick said:
I don't believe reduces to (z+1)/(z-1). Did you enter the problem wrong? If not, try that again and show you did it.

oops! it should read

[tex]\frac{z^2-1}{(z-1)^2}[/tex]
 
csnsc14320 said:
oops! it should read

[tex]\frac{z^2-1}{(z-1)^2}[/tex]

Ok, now I believe you. Now that has the form f(z)/(z-1) where f(z)=z+1. f(1) is not zero. You can classify the singularity just using that. It's also pretty easy to show the full Laurent series if you don't believe me. Write it as (2-(1-z))/(1-z).