What updates can we expect for the new PF website style?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: but I think it makes them look more like an advertisement or something.Yeah I dabbled with lowering the opacity of signatures to lessen the visual pressure they have on post... but I think it makes them look more like an advertisement or something.I think it looks great the way it is. I don't mind the signature at all.I think it looks great the way it is.
Will we also be getting a new paradigm in physics ?

;+}

Physics news on Phys.org
DeepCut said:
Will we also be getting a new paradigm in physics ?

;+}

That I leave up to you :)

Good design. Looks clearer and more stylish.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm afraid the current software does not support SSL

Aaahhh, you're running nginx as a cPanel plugin... I see it now. I didn't get the distinction between "nginx admin" and regular old "nginx". Too bad :-(

Belay my complaint about login page on ie9

either you've fixed it
or I was having another senior moment...

found I can type right over what looked like "Username" button instead of adjacent to it

so I was typing username into password block...

Grumpy Old Man at the keyboard...

sorry...

All the best...

Wow... the image gallery already has 1000s of images.

I'm wondering about server data/bandwidth impact? (might not be as much of a problem now as it was a few years back)

Other forums I've frequented encouraged the use of 3rd party image hosts (Picasa, etc.), just linking to images like so:
for+forum+image.jpg

Matt the gallery is generated from past images too. Not from when it was released :)

I don't post here often anymore due to lack of time, but I have two things to say about the new look. First, it definitely looks better, so a job well done on the aesthetics part. However, the older design seemed to me much more readable with less stuff packed right in the middle of the screen (the design feels a bit squeezed now) and more actual post content on a single page (here I don't mean the actual topic page, but how much you seen on your screen at any given instant).

Yes! Congratulation with the new look! I really love the way this forum site is set up! Keep up with the good work, admins and everyone! I would like to see some improvements and progress!

Yeah, i really like this! It's really refreshing or maybe i am just saying that because i love BLUE!:D:D

Go a Head ! let's change the world

This is amazing. Please include MathJAX for latex insertion :) IT is easy to program it and it is powerfull: http://www.mathjax.org/

It would be nice to have a clock showing the server time, in some corner of the page. It would help people in time zones, different from the server's. Just saying.

Please include MathJAX for latex insertion :)

You mean they don't already have MathJAX??! :rolleyes:

this looks like a spyware website, I thought the top caption was adware, please remove it fast! it COMPLETELY takes away from the look and feel of a professional educational forum

Bad Design!

Poor design. Looks like those adware websites.
Earlier look was classy.

Abdul Quadeer: Don't be an old man.You will get used to it.

Change for the sake of change.

Sylvia Else said:
Change for the sake of change.

We ll get used to it! :D But i would love to see this site mainly in green colour as it is describing the nature :)

Oh, cool. I like the new design. :-)

When you are renewing... Please provide a better favicon also :)

The new layout looks great! Congratulations to everyone who worked on it!

71GA said:
This is amazing. Please include MathJAX for latex insertion :) IT is easy to program it and it is powerfull: http://www.mathjax.org/
##E=\gamma mc^2##
That got added long before the new layout.

uhhh ,,, I know I'm slow...

can't find the old FAQ page...

just point me in right direction -

thanks, old jim

jim hardy said:
uhhh ,,, I know I'm slow...

can't find the old FAQ page...

just point me in right direction -

thanks, old jim

Site Info dropdown at the top nav.

hi,

Thanks for updating, the blue background with white Font seems great .

awwwssomm

Looks great :)

There should be a "dictionary" to explain the symbols. N, NR, various icons near the right end of the entries.

mathman said:
There should be a "dictionary" to explain the symbols. N, NR, various icons near the right end of the entries.

If you hover the cursor over the simple its definition appears.

Do you block JavaScript or some websites in some way?
No, though I do get requests from time to time about downloading the latest version.
Mabe I should.
I can now get all the pages of the thread by left clicking on the page, which then does not open but then if I right click on thread tools and open with a left click the desired page opens.
That's how I retreived the above question.

Do you block JavaScript or some websites in some way?
No.

Just looking to see if I can still post.
I could not find the posts the order had revearsed but back to normall with the latest at the bottom.
Must be something to do with thread tools.

Last edited:
In my opinion the new layout is not as visually appealing as the old one. The color scheme of the green and gray was definitely easier on the eyes.

71GA said:
We ll get used to it! :D But i would love to see this site mainly in green colour as it is describing the nature :)

No doubt we will. But is it actually any better than the old design, or is it just different? Whatever happened to the engineering adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Designers seem to mistake change for progess. In some areas (such as supermarket self-checkout systems) one can at least hypothesise that the needless changes are driven by some executive's desire to justify their existence, but in something like Physics Forums, I just shake my head.

Sylvia.