What Values of α and β Represent an Extended Canonical Transformation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Magister
Messages
82
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The transformation equations are:

[tex] Q=q^\alpha cos(\beta p)[/tex]

[tex] P=q^\alpha sin(\beta p)[/tex]

For what values of [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] do these equations represent an extended canonical transformation?

The Attempt at a Solution


Well, just for a start, what is the condition for a canonical transformation to be an extended canonical transformation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I got a solution but it doesn't seems very satisfactory

I believe that the condition for a canonical transformation to be an extended canonical transformation is that

[tex] PQ^\prime = \lambda p q^\prime[/tex]

But I am not 100% sure.

Then I do

[tex] PQ^\prime = q^\alpha sen(\beta p)(\alpha q^{\alpha-1}q^\prime cos(\beta p)-q^\alpha \beta sen(\beta p) p^\prime)[/tex]

Now I do the small angle approximation saying that [itex]\beta[/itex] is small. Is this point that I am not sure because the problem statement don't gives any information about this approximation.
However, doing this I get:

[tex] PQ^\prime \simeq \alpha q^{2\alpha -1} \beta p q^\prime - \beta^3 q^{2\alpha} p^2 p^\prime[/tex]

Using

[tex] \beta^3 \simeq 0[/tex]

and

[tex] \alpha=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I get

[tex] PQ^\prime \simeq \frac{\beta}{2} p q^\prime[/tex]

At least I get the condition of an extended canonical transformation

Am I thinking right?
Thanks for any suggestion.