What values of a and b satisfy the following wave equation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
s_gunn
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For which values of the constants a and b does u(x,t) = sin(ax)sin(bt) satisfy the wave equation Utt = C2uxx?

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



I've taken the partial differentials:
Ux = acos(ax)sin(bt)
Uxx = -a2sin(ax)sin(bt)
Ut = bcos(bt)sin(ax)
Utt = -b2sin(bt)sin(ax)

and subbed them into the equation to get:
-b2sin(bt)sin(ax)+c2a2sin(ax)sin(bt)=0
so:
(-b2+c2a2)(sin(bt)sin(ax)) = 0

But then I'm lost!

I have a feeling that I may have gone in completely the wrong direction so any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have not gone in the wrong direction.

If p*q=0, what can you say about p and q?
 
I know that each of them must equal zero making
b = ca and a = b/c
but is rearranging them to make a the subject really all their asking for?! Am i missing something!?
 
s_gunn said:
I know that each of them must equal zero making
b = ca
This is correct, but you skipped a step, and in the process lost one of the solutions.

But once have the other solution, that's basically all you are asked to do.
 
Thanks Gokul43201, sometimes you just need a nudge in the right direction!