Is D(x,t) = ln(ax+bt) a solution to the wave function?

In summary: This solution is also valid for the wave equation in two or three dimensions.In summary, the displacement function D(x,t) = ln(ax+bt), where a and b are constants, is a solution to the wave equation with a speed of propagation v = ±(b/a). This solution is valid for one, two, or three dimensions.
Jamie_Pi

Homework Statement

Show that the displacement D(x,t) = ln(ax+bt), where a and b are constants, is a solution to the wave function.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure which one to use:
D(x,t) = Asin(kx+ωt+φ)
2D/∂t2 = v2⋅∂2D/∂x2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely lost on where to start with this one. I'm not sure how it's even possible, considering a wave is supposed to be an oscillating function and this solution would not give an oscillating displacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are thinking of harmonic waves. Here you are asked to show that D(x,t) = ln(ax+bt) is a solution to the wave equation. Just take the derivatives, substitute in the wave equation and forget Asin(kx+ωt+φ). The wave equation has more solutions than just sines and cosines.

Likes Jamie_Pi
I suppose you should start with wave equation in one dimension, i.e.
$$\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}=\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}$$,
and show that the equation is satisfied for ##u(x,t)=D(x,t)##.

Likes Jamie_Pi
Ok, I understand. This is what I have so far:

ln(ax+bt) = D(x,t)

2D/∂t2 = b22/(ax+bt)

2D/∂x2 = a2/(ax+bt)

b2/(ax+bt) = v2 a2/(ax+bt)
This is true as long as v = b2/a2

Do you think that this is enough for an answer?

Jamie_Pi said:
Ok, I understand. This is what I have so far:

ln(ax+bt) = D(x,t)

2D/∂t2 = b22/(ax+bt)

2D/∂x2 = a2/(ax+bt)

This is true as long as v = b2/a2

Do you think that this is enough for an answer?
It is the right method, but your second derivatives are incorrect. Take it one step at a time.

Likes Jamie_Pi
∂2D/∂t2 = -b2/(ax+bt)2

∂2D/∂x2 = -a2/(ax+bt)2

I think this is correct this time.

Jamie_Pi said:
∂2D/∂t2 = -b2/(ax+bt)2

∂2D/∂x2 = -a2/(ax+bt)2

I think this is correct this time.
Not quite. The second line is right, but not the third.

Likes Jamie_Pi
Oh I see, I just wrote it in wrong. If the first two are correct, then the last one should just be:

b2/(ax+bt)2 = v2 a2/(ax+bt)2

where v2 = b2/a2

Jamie_Pi said:
Oh I see, I just wrote it in wrong. If the first two are correct, then the last one should just be:

b2/(ax+bt)2 = v2 a2/(ax+bt)2

where v2 = b2/a2
Right.

Likes Jamie_Pi
It is generally true that any function of the form ##f(ax \pm bt)## is a solution to the wave equation.
Proof: Define ##u=ax \pm bt##. Then $$\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=\pm b\frac{\partial f}{\partial u} \\ \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t^2}=+b^2\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial u^2}$$Similarly, $$\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}=a^2\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial u^2}$$Substitute in the wave equation to get $$b^2\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial u^2}=v^2a^2\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial u^2}~\Rightarrow~b^2=v^2a^2.$$ Thus, the function is a solution to the wave equation if the speed of propagation is identified as ##v=\pm (b/a)##. The top (##+##) sign is used for waves propagating in the decreasing x-direction as time evolves and the bottom (##-##) is used for waves propagating in the increasing x-direction.

Likes Jamie_Pi

What is the wave function?

The wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle. It describes the probability of finding the particle in a certain position or state at a given time.

What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a system evolves over time. It relates the change in the wave function to the energy of the system.

What is the solution to the wave function?

The solution to the wave function is a mathematical expression that describes the exact quantum state of a system at a given time. It is obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation for a specific system and boundary conditions.

What is the role of the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The wave function plays a central role in quantum mechanics as it provides a way to calculate the probability of a particle's properties and behavior. It is also used to predict the behavior of quantum systems and make accurate measurements.

What are the different interpretations of the wave function?

There are several interpretations of the wave function, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, the many-worlds interpretation, and the pilot-wave theory. These interpretations offer different explanations for the meaning and nature of the wave function in quantum mechanics.