1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What was the speed before the collision?

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On a frictionless, horizontal air table, puck A (with a mass 0.250 kg) is moving to the right toward Puck B (with mass 0.350 kg), which initially at rest. After the collsion, puck A has a velocity of 0.120 m/s to the left, and puck B has a velocity of 0.650 m/s to the right.

Question A: What was the speed before the collision?
    Question B: Calculate the change in the total kinetic energy of the system that occurs during the collision.

2. Relevant equations
    *P = Momentum*
    P = mv
    P(total) = Pa + Pb
    U = 1/2 K X^2.
    Kinetic energy = 1/2 (m1 + m2)V^2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    (Note: I haven't tried working out the Kinetic energy problem yet...so don't worry about that. Just trying to solve this part for now).

I think it's the fact that puck B is at rest which is throwing me off.
    I know the answer is V = 0.79 m/s for Puck A before collision *Answer is in the back of the book*, but I can not figure out how to get this.

I know Pi = (0.25kg) V + (0.35kg) V = ?
    And Pf = (0.25kg) (0.12 m/s) + (0.35 kg) (0.65 m/s) = 0.2575 Kg*m/s.

I've tried setting them equal to each other and canceling from both sides. Which gave me V = 0.12 m/s + 0.65 m/s => V = 0.77 m/s. But that's off by 0.02

I tried solving it a few other ways, but that gave me = 0.91 m/s. And I tried another way and got 1.03 m/s. So none of that was close.

I tried working it backwards an using the answer plugging it into Pi giving me:

Pi = (0.25kg) (0.79 m/s) + (0.35kg) (V) = 0.1975 Kg*m/s.
    Pf = (0.25kg) (0.12 m/s) + (0.35 kg) (0.65 m/s) = 0.2575 Kg*m/s.
    Setting them equal to each other:
    0.1975 Kg*m/s + 0.35Kg (V) = 0.2575 Kg*m/s
    and getting to

(0.35kg)(V) = 0.06 Kg*m/s.

This is far as I can go. In what I'm missing have some relation to maybe that the square root of 0.35 is almost 0.06?

Or is there a reason my one answer that V = 0.77 m/s was off by just 0.02 m/s, and it's something I'm just not seeing?

Any and all help is appreciated =]. Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Almost. What's the initial velocity of puck B? It's not the same as puck A.
    Careful. Direction matters. The fact that after the collision puck A is moving to the left means that you need to give its velocity a negative sign.

Fix the above and try it again.

4. Dec 17, 2009 #3
    Thank you! Fixed what you said and tried again in class and asked the teacher if I had the right answer last week and I did, so it worked. Much appreciated Doc Al :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook