What wave function should I choose for this problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the operator O = i(d^3/dx^3) has real eigenvalues. The solution involves differentiating a wave function three times and explaining why the value for k must be imaginary in order for the wave function to be acceptable.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

Show that the operator

[tex]O = i\frac{d^{3}}{dx^{3}}[/tex]

has real eigenvalues

Homework Equations

Differentiate a wave function 3 times

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the process of differentiating a wave function (as many times as you like) and it giving the wave function back multiplied the eigen value. But this question seems so general, what wave function should I choose?

thanks in advance for any pointers

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenfunctions are linear combinations of functions of form ##e^{kx}##. To give an ansver to the problem, you should explain why ##k## has to be imaginary for this to be an acceptable wave function (if k were real, the eigenvalue would be imaginary).

Likes rwooduk
hilbert2 said:
The eigenfunctions are linear combinations of functions of form ##e^{kx}##. To give an ansver to the problem, you should explain why ##k## has to be imaginary for this to be an acceptable wave function (if k were real, the eigenvalue would be imaginary).

that's very helpful, thank you!

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of the behavior of a quantum mechanical system. It is used to determine the probability of finding a particle in a specific location or state. It is commonly denoted by the Greek letter psi (ψ).

2. How do I choose the right wave function for a problem?

The choice of wave function depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve. It is usually determined by considering the physical properties of the system, such as the potential energy and boundary conditions. Different wave functions may be more suitable for different types of systems or phenomena.

3. What are the different types of wave functions?

There are several types of wave functions, including plane waves, Gaussian waves, and standing waves. Each type has its own mathematical form and is used to describe different physical systems. Some wave functions are more commonly used in specific fields, such as the Schrödinger wave function in quantum mechanics.

4. Can I use any wave function for any problem?

No, not all wave functions are suitable for every problem. Each wave function has its own limitations and may not accurately describe certain systems or phenomena. It is important to carefully consider the properties of the system and select a wave function that best fits the problem at hand.

5. How do I know if the chosen wave function is accurate?

The accuracy of a chosen wave function can be evaluated by comparing its predictions to experimental data or other accepted models. If the predictions match the observed behavior of the system, then the chosen wave function can be considered accurate. However, it is important to constantly refine and improve wave functions as new information and technology become available.