What will be the diameter of your coil?

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a current loop with a 1.10-m-long copper wire that will generate a 0.800 mT magnetic field at the center when the current is 1.50 A. The equation used is B = (mu_0)(n)(i)/(2r) and the question is to find the diameter of the coil. The solution involves solving for n/r and then combining it with the given value of 1.1/2(pi) to find the value of r^2. Further calculations are needed to find the final answer.
j88k

Homework Statement

You have a 1.10-m-long copper wire. You want to make an N-turn current loop that generates a 0.800 mT magnetic field at the center when the current is 1.50 A. You must use the entire wire.

What will be the diameter of your coil?

Homework Equations

B = (mu_0)(n)(i)/(2r)

2(pi)(r)(n) = 1.1 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

0.8 * 10^-3 = 4(pi)*(10^-7)n(1.5)/2r

find n/r from this then:

nr = 1.1/2(pi)

combine the two you get r^2 = ...

I'm not sure if I am going right here although I'm quite positive.. Need help on the calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok.. if the question was this: You have a 1.0-m-long copper wire. You want to make an N-turn current loop that generates a 1.0 mT magnetic field at the center when the current is 1.0 A. You must use the entire wire.

the answer would be:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8501/picture3vwq.png

now please help me find the answer that corresponds to my values.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone?

1. What is the purpose of determining the diameter of a coil?

The diameter of a coil is an important factor in determining the size and shape of the resulting electromagnetic field. It is also necessary for calculating the inductance and resistance of the coil, which are crucial parameters in many applications.

2. How do you measure the diameter of a coil?

The most accurate way to measure the diameter of a coil is by using a digital caliper. This tool allows for precise measurements of the inner and outer diameter of the coil. Alternatively, a ruler or tape measure can also be used, but may not provide as accurate of a measurement.

3. Does the material of the coil affect the diameter?

Yes, the material of the coil can affect the diameter. For example, a coil made of thicker wire will have a larger diameter than a coil made of thinner wire, all other factors being equal. Additionally, the type of material used can also impact the diameter, as some materials may expand or contract at different rates when exposed to heat or electricity.

4. Can the diameter of a coil be changed after it has been wound?

Yes, the diameter of a coil can be changed after it has been wound. This can be done by either stretching or compressing the coil, or by adding or removing turns from the winding. However, changing the diameter of a coil can also affect its inductance and resistance, so it is important to consider these factors when making any adjustments.

5. Is there an ideal diameter for a coil?

The ideal diameter for a coil will depend on its intended use and specific design parameters. In general, a larger diameter coil will have a higher inductance and a lower resistance, while a smaller diameter coil will have a lower inductance and a higher resistance. It is important to carefully consider the requirements of the application when determining the ideal diameter for a coil.