Full Width Half Maximum of Single Coil

In summary, the problem is asking to determine the Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) of the magnetic field strength (B) using the single coil equation and fitting parameters. The FWHM is a measure of how broad a signal is before it loses half of its intensity, and in this case, it is a measure of the distance spanned before the magnetic field magnitude is halved. The radius of the coil (R), distance from the point charge (z), magnetic field strength (B), number of loops (N), and current (I) are given values. The z hat symbol is a unit vector in the direction of z. The problem is asking to find the FWHM of the magnitude of the B-field on the
mitchy16

Homework Statement

Determine the Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) using the single coil equation and fitting parameters. The FWHM is the measure of how broad (wide) a signal is before it loses half of its intensity. In this case, its a measure of the distance spanned before the magnetic field magnitude is halved.

Homework Equations

upload_2018-2-3_12-57-41.png

radius of loop (R) : 10.5cm = 0.105m
distance from point charge (z) : 20cm = 0.20cm
magnetic field strength (B) = 0.1366 mT
N, number of loops: only did with 1 coil, so I assume 1?
I, current: 2 A

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not quite understand what it means by fitting paramaters? Is that in reference to the radius, current and other values? I don't understand what I'm supposed to solve for. Any guidance is appreciated, thank you!

NOTE/EDIT: This question is not homework, it is for a lab, I just need guidance on how to do it.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-3_12-57-41.png
    upload_2018-2-3_12-57-41.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 821
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mitchy16 said:
I do not quite understand what it means by fitting paramaters? Is that in reference to the radius, current and other values?
Yes.
mitchy16 said:
I don't understand what I'm supposed to solve for.
Make a plot of B vs. z. Find values z1 and z2 such that B(z1) = B(z2) = (½)Bmax.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_width_at_half_maximum

Likes mitchy16
I'm only a bewildered spectator here, drawn by the normally simple idea (in other contexts) of FWHM.

But this looks almost like the axial field of a simple coil, whose max field is at the centre of the coil and falls off monotonically with distance. Meaning there can be only 1 value of | z | = 0.5 Bmax. So unless this is a contorted way of asking for that single value of |z| or asking how that value of |z| varies with R, I'm perplexed.

What I'd like to ask, to perhaps clarify the situation for me, is what is the significance / meaning of the z 'hat' symbol ?

Edit: If it turns out to be a unit vector in the z direction, then ok. (sorry!)

Likes mitchy16
Merlin3189 said:
I'm only a bewildered spectator here, drawn by the normally simple idea (in other contexts) of FWHM.

But this looks almost like the axial field of a simple coil, whose max field is at the centre of the coil and falls off monotonically with distance. Meaning there can be only 1 value of | z | = 0.5 Bmax. So unless this is a contorted way of asking for that single value of |z| or asking how that value of |z| varies with R, I'm perplexed.

What I'd like to ask, to perhaps clarify the situation for me, is what is the significance / meaning of the z 'hat' symbol ?

Edit: If it turns out to be a unit vector in the z direction, then ok. (sorry!)
According to the my professor, the z hat symbol is a unit vector in the direction of z.

Thanks. I should have realized. It looked like a vector, but since they asked about the axial field, a vector seemed irrelevant. But I suppose it makes the equation mathematically right, with B indicated as a vector.

The more I look at it, I'm coming round to the idea that they're just asking, how far from the coil the field drops to half max. Then just double it because there is field on both sides of the coil.

Like you, I can't see any fitting. Not even parameters, just values of parameters to be substituted, * so that you can work out B for various z (or whatever method you use to find B(z) = (1/2 )Bmax)

And the only one of them that looks at all interesting is R. The others affect the max field and the field at a distance equally.

Edit: * I shouldn't have said that. It may mislead you. Please ignore for the purposes of finding the FWHM.

Last edited:
Likes mitchy16
mitchy16 said:
According to the my professor, the z hat symbol is a unit vector in the direction of z.
That is certainly the case. The B-field on the axis is an even function in z so it points in the ##\hat z## direction above and below the xy-plane. I assumed that the problem is asking to find the FWHM of the magnitude of the B-field on the z-axis, as the FWHM of a vector quantity is meaningless.
Merlin3189 said:
And the only one of them that looks at all interesting is R. The others affect the max field and the field at a distance equally.
In fact the scaling parameter ##\zeta=z/R## is the best way to describe the FWHM.

Likes mitchy16
kuruman said:
That is certainly the case. The B-field on the axis is an even function in z so it points in the ##\hat z## direction above and below the xy-plane. I assumed that the problem is asking to find the FWHM of the magnitude of the B-field on the z-axis, as the FWHM of a vector quantity is meaningless.

In fact the scaling parameter ##\zeta=z/R## is the best way to describe the FWHM.
Thank you for your help! I understand the graphing part and graphed it as you had stated but does that mean I don't have to use the formula they have provided?

mitchy16 said:
Thank you for your help! I understand the graphing part and graphed it as you had stated but does that mean I don't have to use the formula they have provided?
Not really. If you have find the FWHM in terms of z/R and you want it in meters then you need to multiply that FWHM by 0.105 m. The other variables/parameters do not affect the FWHM as @Merlin3189 has already remarked.

Last edited:
Likes mitchy16
kuruman said:
Not really. If you have find the FWHM in terms of z/R and you want it in meters the you need to multiply that FWHM by 0.105 m. The other variables/parameters do not affect the FWHM as @Merlin3189 has already remarked.
Thank you so much!

1. What is Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) of a Single Coil?

The Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) of a single coil is a measure of the width of a peak in a spectrum at half of its maximum height. It is used to determine the resolution of a spectrum and is often used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

2. How is FWHM of a Single Coil calculated?

The FWHM of a single coil is calculated by measuring the width of the peak at half of its maximum height. This can be done by taking the difference between the two points where the peak drops to half of its maximum height. The resulting value is then multiplied by a factor of 2.354 to get the FWHM value.

3. What does FWHM tell us about the quality of a spectrum?

The FWHM of a single coil is directly related to the resolution of a spectrum. A smaller FWHM value indicates a higher resolution and a sharper peak, while a larger FWHM value indicates a lower resolution and a broader peak. In general, a smaller FWHM is considered to be a better quality spectrum.

4. How does the FWHM of a Single Coil affect data analysis?

The FWHM of a single coil is an important factor in data analysis as it can affect the accuracy and precision of measurements. A larger FWHM can result in overlapping peaks and difficulty in distinguishing between different components in a spectrum. Therefore, it is important to have a smaller FWHM for more accurate data analysis.

5. Can the FWHM of a Single Coil be improved?

Yes, the FWHM of a single coil can be improved by optimizing the experimental conditions, such as the instrument settings and sample preparation. Additionally, using advanced techniques and instruments with higher resolution can also improve the FWHM value. However, it is important to note that the FWHM is also influenced by the intrinsic properties of the sample being analyzed and cannot be completely eliminated.