What will be the volume of the balloon?

In summary, the problem asks for the volume of an expandable balloon containing 1400L of He at 0.950 atm and 18 deg C, when at an altitude of 22 miles with a temperature of 2 deg C and pressure of 4 Torr. Using the ideal gas law equation, the volume was calculated to be 25,1374 L, which may seem large due to the low pressure at high altitude.
MichaelXY
[SOLVED] Gas Law Problem

Homework Statement

An expandable balloon contains 1400L of He at 0.950 atm pressure and 18 deg C. At an altitude of 22 miles (temp 2 deg C, and pressure 4 Torr. What will be the volume of the balloon?

Homework Equations

(P1V1)/T1 = (P2V2)/T2
1 atm = 760 Torr
K = 273 + Deg C

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I did was to convert Torr to atm, so 4 Torr = .005 atm.
I then solved for V2 so I get the equation :
V2 = (T2P1V1)/(T2P2) or (275k(0.95atm)1400L)/(291k(.005atm))= 25,1374 L

My Answer seems way off as it is so huge. Where did I make a mistake?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
your calculations are correct, its the low pressure that is making it so big

Thanks. It just looked off to me, glad you clarified for me. That would have to be one stretchy balloon though :)

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a balloon?

The formula for calculating the volume of a balloon is V = (4/3)πr^3, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the balloon.

2. How do you measure the radius of a balloon?

The radius of a balloon can be measured by using a ruler or a measuring tape to measure the distance from the center of the balloon to its outer edge.

3. Does the type of gas inside the balloon affect its volume?

Yes, the type of gas inside the balloon can affect its volume. For example, helium gas is less dense than air and will cause the balloon to expand and increase its volume.

4. How does temperature affect the volume of a balloon?

Temperature can affect the volume of a balloon because gases expand when heated and contract when cooled. Therefore, a balloon filled with hot air will have a larger volume compared to the same balloon filled with cold air.

5. Can you estimate the volume of a balloon without measuring it?

Yes, the volume of a balloon can be estimated by using the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and pressure, and inversely proportional to its number of moles. By knowing the temperature, pressure, and type of gas inside the balloon, an estimate of its volume can be calculated.