What Is the Volume of Dry Hydrogen Gas at STP?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
gurerd
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 32.0 mL sample of hydrogen is collected over water at 20°C and 750.0 torr pressure. What is the volume of the dry gas at STP? (vapor pressure of water at 20°C = 17.5 torr)


Homework Equations



Ptot = Pdry + Pwet

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2

The Attempt at a Solution



Pdry = Ptot - Pwet = 750 - 17.5 = 732.5 torr

V1 = P2V2T1/P1T2 = (732.5 torr)(32 mL)(298K)/(760 torr)(293 K) = 31.3 mL

The answer in the answer key gives 28.7 mL
 
Physics news on Phys.org
STP is standard temperature and pressure -- which I used
T = 25.0 °C ( 298 Kelvin) and
P = 1 atm of pressure (760 torr)

Did I use these in the correct variables? Perhaps that is where I am confused?
 
gurerd said:
STP is standard temperature and pressure -- which I used
T = 25.0 °C ( 298 Kelvin) and
P = 1 atm of pressure (760 torr)
That's SATP. STP is T = 0°C.
 
Ah, what a silly mistake. It works out now!

Thanks so much DrClaude! I appreciate your time.
 
gurerd said:
Ah, what a silly mistake. It works out now!
You would be surprised how commen this mistake is. This is probably what SteamKing was alluding to. the main problem is that most thermodynamic is for 298 K, but STP was defined as 273 K.

gurerd said:
Thanks so much DrClaude! I appreciate your time.
You're welcome!