Volume of Gas At Standard Condition ? Which Gas Law ?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a gas at standard conditions using the formula pv = nRT. The final answer is found to be 211 mL after correcting for the temperature and pressure at standard conditions. The conversation also mentions using the equation PV/T = PV/T to solve the problem.
benworld

Homework Statement

A Sample of gas 250 mL at 37 C and 730 torr . What volume would gas occupy at standard conditions ?

Homework Equations

pv = nRT

V2 = T2P1V1
-------
T1P2

The Attempt at a Solution

Sample Gas

V = 250 mL ( 0.250 L )
P = 730 torr ( .960 atm )
T = 310 K

Standard Condition

T = 273
V = 22.4 L
P = 1 atm

I'm confused because sample gas formula is already given and then find the gas under stand condition ?

Do I just use standard condition formula and drop the other ones ?

If I use pv = nRT then I get following

v = (0.250 L / 22.4 L = .0111 mol) since STP 1 mol = 22.4 L
p = .960 atm
R = 0.08260 ( constant gas )
T = 310 K

v = (.0111 mol ) (0.08260)(310)
--------------------------
.960 atm

Answer = .290 L

The answer doesn't seem to make sense. Any correction ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are only supposed to use the temperature and pressure at STP and use the equation

PV/T = PV/T

Good that you see that answer doesn't make sense. You are lowering temperature and increasing pressure, volume can't go up.

--
methods

I got the answer..211 mL.. user p1v1/t2 = p2v2/t2

close this thread.

I would first clarify with the person who provided the homework question if they intended for the gas law to be used in this scenario. If so, I would proceed with the given gas law formula to find the volume of the gas at standard conditions. However, if the question was intended to be answered using a different approach, I would ask for clarification and guidance. It is important to fully understand the question and the intended method of solving it before providing a solution.

1. What is the definition of "volume of gas at standard condition"?

The volume of gas at standard condition refers to the volume of a gas at a temperature of 273.15 K (0 degrees Celsius) and a pressure of 1 atmosphere (atm).

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of gas at standard condition?

The formula for calculating the volume of gas at standard condition is V = nRT, where V is the volume in liters (L), n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant (0.0821 L·atm/mol·K), and T is the temperature in Kelvin (K).

3. What is the ideal gas law and how is it related to the volume of gas at standard condition?

The ideal gas law is PV = nRT, where P is the pressure in atmospheres (atm), V is the volume in liters (L), n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant (0.0821 L·atm/mol·K), and T is the temperature in Kelvin (K). This law relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas, and can be rearranged to solve for any of these variables, including volume at standard condition.

4. How does the volume of gas at standard condition change with temperature and pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, the volume of gas at standard condition is directly proportional to the temperature and inversely proportional to the pressure. This means that as the temperature increases, the volume also increases, and as the pressure increases, the volume decreases. However, this relationship only holds for ideal gases and may not be true for real gases.

5. What are some examples of "standard condition" for gases?

Some examples of standard condition for gases include STP (standard temperature and pressure), which is defined as 273.15 K (0 degrees Celsius) and 1 atm, and NTP (normal temperature and pressure), which is defined as 293.15 K (20 degrees Celsius) and 1 atm. These conditions are commonly used in chemistry and physics experiments to measure and compare gas volumes.