Volume of Gas At Standard Condition ? Which Gas Law ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
benworld
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A Sample of gas 250 mL at 37 C and 730 torr . What volume would gas occupy at standard conditions ?

Homework Equations



pv = nRT

V2 = T2P1V1
-------
T1P2


The Attempt at a Solution



Sample Gas

V = 250 mL ( 0.250 L )
P = 730 torr ( .960 atm )
T = 310 K

Standard Condition

T = 273
V = 22.4 L
P = 1 atm

I'm confused because sample gas formula is already given and then find the gas under stand condition ?

Do I just use standard condition formula and drop the other ones ?


If I use pv = nRT then I get following

v = (0.250 L / 22.4 L = .0111 mol) since STP 1 mol = 22.4 L
p = .960 atm
R = 0.08260 ( constant gas )
T = 310 K

v = (.0111 mol ) (0.08260)(310)
--------------------------
.960 atm

Answer = .290 L

The answer doesn't seem to make sense. Any correction ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are only supposed to use the temperature and pressure at STP and use the equation

PV/T = PV/T
 
Good that you see that answer doesn't make sense. You are lowering temperature and increasing pressure, volume can't go up.

--
methods
 
I got the answer..211 mL.. user p1v1/t2 = p2v2/t2

close this thread.