What will happen to Hostess and its beloved products?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
65 replies · 12K views
Evo said:
Another case of union workers cutting off their nose to spite their face, IMO.

The judge hearing the bankruptcy proceedings seems to agree with you.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20402361

"Many people, myself included, have serious questions as to the logic behind this strike," said Judge Robert Drain, of the Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hostess had financial problems that went much deeper than the unions. In the long run Hostess finally reached their expiration date.
 
If you can actually find some Twinkies now, here's the perfect thing to do with them:

http://www.courant.com/features/too-shea/hc-shea-boomers-1121-20121121,0,1549751.column (Hartford Courant)
 
Now I can associate completely with Woody Harrelson's character in Zombie Land.
 
Bankrupt Hostess to Give Execs Bonuses - but doesn't have enough cash on hand to pay retirement benefits (ostensibly under contract) to some former employees
http://gma.yahoo.com/bankrupt-hostess-execs-bonuses-094718695--abc-news-topstories.html
 
Astro's link said:
"I was qualified to draw my pension, with no notice I lost about 70 or 75 percent of it I didn't work 34 years to lose it," Carroll said.

Unfortunately, the workers are treated like dead weight, and the managers that ran the company into the ground get nice bonuses. Hostess has bakeries, distribution centers, and distribution routes here in Maine, so it won't be painless.

My wife and I don't buy sweets, and I have never been a fan of Wonder bread, so no loss to us, but we know people that work for J.J. Nissen (owned by Hostess' parent company) and the collapse will hurt them. One guy in particular spent a year or two building up his delivery route to the river-rafting companies north of here. The rafting companies had expanded into the snowmobile rental business (including lodging and X-country skiing) so they had year-round demand for hot dog rolls, hamburg buns, dinner rolls, bread, etc. Color that gone if J.J. Nissen goes under.
 
Last edited: