1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What will look better for grad school transcript.

1. Dec 14, 2013 #1
    I can either take junior level E@M and get an A in it hopefully. Or I can place out of the class by self studying. If I do the latter then I'll take a final exam and if I pass the final with a 90+ I get the credit but no grade. What will look better for grad school. If I place out I'll take thermo stat next semester instead.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2013 #2
    One class probably will not make much of a difference in the whole of your transcript. I would do what you think will be more fun, and beneficial.

4. Dec 15, 2013 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you're testing out of junior E&M and taking a senior E&M that's fine. If you're looking at completing a physics degree without having done a specific E&M course - that would be a flag for me.

5. Dec 15, 2013 #4
    Well I took freshmen E@M junior E@M is Griffith's. What flag will that raise. If I can self study and test out of E@M then I can graduate a semester earlier.

6. Dec 15, 2013 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And why do you want to graduate a semester earlier? You will - although there are a (very) few exceptions - have to wait until Fall to start graduate school.

7. Dec 15, 2013 #6
    Save money.

8. Dec 15, 2013 #7
    Does your "junior E&M" consist of 2 semesters of Griffith's? Would you be testing out of the 1 semester?

9. Dec 15, 2013 #8

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yeah, that would be a flag for me - not necessarily an endgame, but a flag. An upper year (full year) E&M is one of those standard physics courses. If I were evaluating you against another student in a competitive ranking situation, the E&M mark can hold a lot of weight because it's a common course. It can also hold a lot of direct relevance to the sub-field you're interested in.

"Testing out" in general also raises a flag for me though. Just because you can pass a test doesn't mean you really understand the material. (Arguably, neither does getting a high mark in a course... but a mark based on multiple evaluations including mid-terms, quizzes, assignments, a final, etc. does seem to hold a little more weight).

You also need to have a lot of trust in your own abilities to master the material. It's a big assumption to believe you can actually learn the material thoroughly by self-study. Some people have that ability. Most seem to need the entire course. The reason I bring this up is because it's quite common for graduate students to take Jackson's E&M. Jumping into that with only a first year physics course under your belt is not advisable.

10. Dec 16, 2013 #9
    Its a single semester the one at my school. How about testing out of E@M 1
    Take E@M 2 instead would that be better?

11. Dec 16, 2013 #10
    Testing isnt equivalent in real life. Getting a GED has different connotations than a HS diploma.

Take the class or do what you want but grad schools dont start until the fall.

Testing out is a waste of time. If you want to spend time on a test that matters take that time and prepare for the PGRE and GRE to get a better score on both

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook