What will look better for grad school transcript.

In summary, if you want to take junior level E@M and get an A in it hopefully. Or if you want to place out of the class by self studying and still get an A in it then you will have to take a final exam.
xdrgnh
I can either take junior level E@M and get an A in it hopefully. Or I can place out of the class by self studying. If I do the latter then I'll take a final exam and if I pass the final with a 90+ I get the credit but no grade. What will look better for grad school. If I place out I'll take thermo stat next semester instead.

Physics news on Phys.org
One class probably will not make much of a difference in the whole of your transcript. I would do what you think will be more fun, and beneficial.

If you're testing out of junior E&M and taking a senior E&M that's fine. If you're looking at completing a physics degree without having done a specific E&M course - that would be a flag for me.

Well I took freshmen E@M junior E@M is Griffith's. What flag will that raise. If I can self study and test out of E@M then I can graduate a semester earlier.

And why do you want to graduate a semester earlier? You will - although there are a (very) few exceptions - have to wait until Fall to start graduate school.

Save money.

xdrgnh said:
Well I took freshmen E@M junior E@M is Griffith's. What flag will that raise. If I can self study and test out of E@M then I can graduate a semester earlier.

Does your "junior E&M" consist of 2 semesters of Griffith's? Would you be testing out of the 1 semester?

xdrgnh said:

Yeah, that would be a flag for me - not necessarily an endgame, but a flag. An upper year (full year) E&M is one of those standard physics courses. If I were evaluating you against another student in a competitive ranking situation, the E&M mark can hold a lot of weight because it's a common course. It can also hold a lot of direct relevance to the sub-field you're interested in.

"Testing out" in general also raises a flag for me though. Just because you can pass a test doesn't mean you really understand the material. (Arguably, neither does getting a high mark in a course... but a mark based on multiple evaluations including mid-terms, quizzes, assignments, a final, etc. does seem to hold a little more weight).

You also need to have a lot of trust in your own abilities to master the material. It's a big assumption to believe you can actually learn the material thoroughly by self-study. Some people have that ability. Most seem to need the entire course. The reason I bring this up is because it's quite common for graduate students to take Jackson's E&M. Jumping into that with only a first year physics course under your belt is not advisable.

Its a single semester the one at my school. How about testing out of E@M 1
Take E@M 2 instead would that be better?

Testing isn't equivalent in real life. Getting a GED has different connotations than a HS diploma.

Take the class or do what you want but grad schools don't start until the fall.

Testing out is a waste of time. If you want to spend time on a test that matters take that time and prepare for the PGRE and GRE to get a better score on both

What will look better for grad school transcript?

This is a common question among students applying for graduate school. Here are five frequently asked questions about this topic:

1. Does the reputation of my undergraduate institution matter?

Many students wonder if attending a prestigious undergraduate institution will give them an advantage in the graduate school admissions process. While it may be a factor, it is not the only thing that matters. Admission committees also consider your grades, test scores, research experience, and letters of recommendation.

2. Should I take difficult courses or stick with easier ones to maintain a high GPA?

It is important to challenge yourself academically, but not at the expense of your grades. A mix of challenging and manageable courses is ideal. Admissions committees will also look at your course load and consider the difficulty of the courses you have taken.

3. Is it better to have a high GPA in a non-science major or a lower GPA in a science major?

Most graduate programs will prioritize a strong academic record in your field of study. However, this does not mean that your non-science courses are not important. Admissions committees will still consider your overall GPA and the rigor of your coursework.

4. How important are extracurricular activities?

While your academic record is the most critical factor in the admissions process, extracurricular activities can also make you stand out as a well-rounded applicant. These activities can demonstrate your leadership skills, community involvement, and passion for your chosen field.

5. Will a gap year or taking time off affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Taking a gap year or time off before applying to graduate school is becoming increasingly common and is not necessarily viewed negatively by admissions committees. As long as you use this time to gain valuable experience or pursue other interests, it can actually strengthen your application.