TheStatutoryApe said:
I agree with Zoob that it wouldn't ever completely fall to comuters. Personally I prefer music with real instruments to electronic music.
Yes. Computer music has just become a new type among the others, and I doubt it will push them out and replace them.
If I dug I'm sure I could eventually come up with many quotes from the 1800's predicting the death of drawing and painting with the advent of photography. It never happened, though, because it turns out the measure of a good drawing or painting was never it's literal realism, the forte of the photograph, but always how a given individual artist expresses his/her take on reality. That's never clearer or more interesting than when channeled through the physiological mechanics of the artists own body.
Same with music. It's much more exiting and intriquing to listen to the interplay of, say, Leo Kottke and his acoustic guitars, than it is to hear "perfect" music. You mention Tom Waits. People want more than perfection and beauty, they also want character. I once read Lotte Lenya described as having "an impossibly ugly voice," perfect for the roles she played and music she sang. While I think "ugly" is the wrong word for her voice, it points out that successful music is frequently a matter, not of beauty and perfection, but of the right balance of the sweet and salty, just as we might say it's a matter of the right balance of the loud and the soft, or of fast and slow, or dissonant and consonant.
I can't see it would be easier to write a "character" program for music than to just let it take place in nature. Stuff happens that no one would think of trying to deliberately design. Who would have concieved of, and tried to design, the strange jazz style of Steely Dan lead singer Donald Fagan?