Ivan Seeking said:
Ah, but the objection was that a computer can't create style. So the problem may be more one of selecting rather than creating.
All art works down to selection. Old joke: someone asks a sculptor how he sculpted an elephant. The sculptor replies that he got a boulder and removed all the parts that didn't look like an elephant.
Why is your writing style different than mine? You are constantly making selections about what include and exclude according to a different set of criteria than me. Where do you get those criteria. It would be impossible to track it all down: it's a set of values built up over the course of your whole life. It would be a huge task to catalog 10% of those criteria. Your brain juggles it all instantly. In order to write in an original style to please or provoke human emotion the computer is going to have to know a great deal more than the simple math of chords.
But that's the point. The math is still there. So in a sense, in music we have a direct conduit by which we perceive mathematical relationships. The fact that we prefer a pure tone over noise even speaks to a fundamental sense of this. Why do we prefer repetitive and uniform impulse from our auditory system rather than random ones? I have never met a pure sine wave that I didn't like. And I know one when I hear one
Why we like it isn't necessary to explain in order to write music, or get a computer to do it. And, music doesn't get interesting till you start playing against the fundamental math, breaking the basic rule of sounding good, which starts with the tension you get when you start using minor chords. They don't sound good, as in happy. They express sadness, anxiety, anger, etc. Then there are sevenths and ninths and augmented and diminished chords: more ambiguous and sophisticated. It's all about tension and resolution of tension. I'm kind of babling and rambling.
Bach is rolling over in his grave. A concert cellist once commented that he thought Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was a work of genius, until he studied Bach.
"Genius" really
is a value judgement, though. I'm not sure by what criteria the cellist changed his mind but every classical performer I know has a pop artist they worship as a genius, people they consider as doing something amazing, having some amazing quality that thoroughly trained musicians lack. Stevie Wonder is often named. I've heard Brian Wilson, Barbara Streisand, can't remember the others (from college days).
Anyway, on Trogdor 7 the inhabitants are particularly responsive to the Seeking style, and see nuances in it that just aren't noticed or appreciated on other planets.