What would be best to study to prepare for

In summary, the conversation discussed the best choice of major for someone interested in researching new types of non-combustion propulsion, specifically in a vacuum. The conversation mentioned that electromagnetics, plasma, and lasers are the key areas for next generation propulsion. The individual expressed interest in electricity, magnetism, and plasma, and asked for thoughts on which major would be most beneficial for this field. The response mentioned that a physics major with a specialty in a specific area or electrical engineering with a minor in physics would be suitable for these types of jobs in industry. The individual thanked the responder for confirming their thoughts.
osnarf
I was wondering what would be the best choice of major to go into to prepare to do research on new types of non-combustion propulsion (that function in a vacuum, doesn't have to work in the atmosphere as well)? Most of what I read today seems to lead toward next generation propulsion being largely about electromagnetics, plasma, and lasers. I really liked studying about electricity and magnitism in physics 2, and while I've never studied it before, plasma has always fascinated me (And not the type I 'donate' to pay for school :P). Lasers are interesting, but while I would like to know a little bit about them, I really wouldn't want to concentrate on them.

Does anybody have any ithoughts? Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I mean a major, such as physics with a specialty in xxxx or electrical engineering with a minor in physics... etc. Thanks again.

These kinds of jobs would be open to a physics major, in industry likely through some sort of graduate programme given the companies that work on these topics. An electrical engineering minor wouldn't hurt, since you would learn some pracitcal design as well.

Thank you, that's pretty much what I thought, I was just making sure.

As a follow-up, what specialization for physics?

I would recommend studying a combination of physics and engineering for your desired research field. Physics will provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of electromagnetics and plasma, while engineering will give you the practical skills to design and build non-combustion propulsion systems.

In terms of specific courses, I would suggest focusing on electromagnetic theory, plasma physics, and fluid dynamics. These subjects will give you a deep understanding of the physical principles behind non-combustion propulsion and how to manipulate them for efficient propulsion in a vacuum.

Additionally, courses in materials science and engineering will also be beneficial, as new materials are constantly being developed for use in advanced propulsion systems.

It is also important to stay updated on the latest research and developments in the field, so reading scientific journals and attending conferences would also be valuable.

Overall, a strong foundation in physics and engineering, along with a curiosity and passion for electromagnetics and plasma, will prepare you well for research on new types of non-combustion propulsion.

What would be best to study to prepare for a career in medicine?

To prepare for a career in medicine, it is best to study subjects such as biology, chemistry, and anatomy. These subjects will provide a strong foundation for understanding the human body and its functions. It is also important to have a strong background in math and communication skills.

What would be best to study to prepare for a career in engineering?

If you are interested in pursuing a career in engineering, it is best to study subjects such as physics, calculus, and computer science. These subjects will provide a strong understanding of scientific principles and problem-solving skills that are essential in the field of engineering.

What would be best to study to prepare for a career in computer science?

To prepare for a career in computer science, it is best to study subjects such as computer programming, mathematics, and data structures. These subjects will provide a strong foundation for understanding computer systems and coding languages.

What would be best to study to prepare for a career in business?

If you are interested in pursuing a career in business, it is best to study subjects such as economics, finance, and marketing. These subjects will provide a strong understanding of business principles and strategies, as well as analytical and communication skills.

What would be best to study to prepare for a career in law?

To prepare for a career in law, it is best to study subjects such as political science, history, and philosophy. These subjects will provide a strong understanding of legal systems and critical thinking skills necessary for a career in law. It is also important to have excellent research and writing abilities.