How should I prepare for a Physics Undergrad?

In summary, this person is thinking about going back to school and wants to know what they should study in order to best prepare themselves. They suggest that a person start with a general algebra book that universities use for their remedial algebra course, then learn the equivalent of intermediate algebra, and finally look into Geometry. After that, they suggest that a person might want to try pre-calculus in the ALEKS online system, or get either Serge Lang: Basic Mathematics, Axler: Pre-Calculus, or Simmons: Pre-Calculus. Finally, they suggest that a person might want to skip the last two books mentioned and go straight to calculus if they have a thorough understanding of foundational mathematics.
lmoh
Hi. I am currently thinking about going back to school in a year or so in order to get a physics undergrad and I was wondering what I should study in order to best prepare myself. I haven't been in school for a while, and my last experience with maths was in high school (which I hardly have any solid memory of), but I am willing to do some self-studying if only to know the essentials (though ideally, I would also want to get a step-up on the material). Do you guys have any recommendations on what textbooks or concepts I should read up on here?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • Basic algebra or Introductory Algebra - one semester of study
  • Intermediate Algebra - one semester of study
  • Trigonometry - one semester of study, but you may need Geometry first; or you might learn the necessary Trigonometry from "Pre-Calculus" which combines more advanced Algebra and Trigonometry in the same course
  • Calculus & Analytic Geometry - one semester, but this you could start during your first real beginning Physics course for the science engineering students
  • More Calculus and maybe other Mathematic courses as you progress

You will need to be really good at applying Intermediate Algebra and basic Trigonometry for applied problem-solving. You would begin at a community college, if you have not been a student for a while.

Likes Student100
For Algebra, a general algebra book that universities use for their remedial algebra course is a good place to start.
Once you learn the equivalent of intermediate algebra, it is time to look into Geometry.

For geometry, I like Geometry by Edwin E. Moise. It provides answers, is very clear, and the theorems are highly motivated. Some of the problems, and the language can be a bit formal for someone who is new to mathematics. Granted, I read Moise after I finished Calculus 2, but I wished I would have learned about this book earlier.
Geometry by Harold Jacobs, get an earlier edition 2nd edition is great, it is a step below Moise. But, maybe it is better as an introduction to geometry.

For Trig, there is many options. My advice is to get Pre-Calculus book. Most standard pre-calculus books cover algebra and trigonometry. I like the idea of using 2 books.
David Cohen: Precalculus- A Problem Solving Approach, and Trigonometry by Gelfand. Supplement the trigonometry portions with Gelfand. There are many neat things in Gelfand not found in the typical Trig books. It is a supplement to a trigonometry course, not the sole textbook for a course.

Once you finish these, you can either get something like Serge Lang: Basic Mathematics, Axler: Pre-Calculus, or Simmons :Pre-Calculus, to get an even better understanding of these topics.

Or you can skip these last books mentioned and head straight to calculus, only if you are 100% you have a thorough understanding of foundational mathematics.

This plan of study, can take you up to 3 years. So if you are not willing to put in 3 years, then don't start.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to look to purchasing these books soon.

I've noticed that all of the recommendations deal with mathematics, which makes sense since it is math-heavy. But are there any physics based books that you guys recommend I look at as well?

I suggest you get both Moise and Apostol. Apostol may or may not be beyond your scope. Its a good book, prices for it have been increasing, and it is one of those books you keep.

lmoh said:
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to look to purchasing these books soon.

I've noticed that all of the recommendations deal with mathematics, which makes sense since it is math-heavy. But are there any physics based books that you guys recommend I look at as well?

Not until you have a working knowledge of basic algebra, trig/geometry, differentiation and integration.

Try pre-calc in the ALEKS online system.

1. What courses should I take in high school to prepare for a Physics undergrad?

The most important courses to take in high school to prepare for a Physics undergrad are math (including calculus), physics, and chemistry. These subjects will give you a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and equations that you will encounter in your undergraduate studies.

2. What extracurricular activities should I participate in to prepare for a Physics undergrad?

Participating in extracurricular activities such as science clubs, science fairs, and research opportunities can greatly enhance your understanding and interest in physics. Additionally, participating in math or physics competitions can help you develop problem-solving skills that are essential for success in a Physics undergrad program.

3. What study habits should I develop to succeed in a Physics undergrad?

In addition to attending lectures and completing assigned readings and homework, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing problems, forming study groups with classmates, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed. It is also crucial to stay organized and manage your time effectively to keep up with the rigorous coursework.

4. Should I take any additional math courses before starting a Physics undergrad?

If possible, it is beneficial to take additional math courses beyond the minimum requirements for your high school. These can include courses in linear algebra, differential equations, and multivariable calculus. These courses will provide a solid mathematical foundation for more advanced physics courses in undergrad.

5. What resources are available to help me prepare for a Physics undergrad?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for a Physics undergrad, including online study guides, textbooks, and practice problems. Additionally, many universities offer summer programs or bridge programs for incoming freshmen to help them transition to college-level physics. It is also beneficial to reach out to current physics undergrad students or professors for advice and guidance.