1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would be the good method and solvent to purify biphenyl?

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what would be the good method and solvent to purify biphenyl contaminated with fluorene?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The polarity of biphenyl (MP: 68.93°C) and fluorene (MP: 116-117°C ) are same which is non polar but their MP is hugh different. So, I'm not so sure which solvent is good to use. I think cryatallization would be the good method to purify. Could you help on this? Thank you so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fluorene has an acidic proton and the anion is stabilized by aromatic stabilization. NaOH is apparently a strong enough base to deprotonate it.

You could also use an alcohol like butanol or butanol + ether.

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3
    Thanks for help, It's kind of still confusing becaue the question is asking about to purify the biphenyl from fluorene.

5. Mar 4, 2009 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fluorene is somewhat acidic (NaOH can deprotonate it) and is therefore more polar than biphenyl. It would more soluble in a polar solvent like alcohol. What would happen if you were to shake a sample containing fluorene with NaOH and ether? Would you find the fluorene in the organic or the aqueous phase? Would the biphenyl stay in the ether phase or would it cross over into the aqueous phase as well?

6. Mar 6, 2009 #5
    Thank you so much. It makes sense NaOH and ether will sepearte biphenyl from Fluorene because biphenyl will stay in ether phase. If I understood this earlier, then I would have got the right answer for my lab. Well, Still I'm so happy that I know now. Thank you again!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook