What would i need to begin in Solid State?

In summary, Solid State refers to the physical state of matter in which particles are tightly packed and held together by strong intermolecular forces. It has various applications in electronics, energy storage, and material science, and requires basic laboratory equipment and specialized equipment such as a spectrophotometer or X-ray diffractometer to begin working with it. Key concepts to understand include crystal structure, lattice, and band theory, as well as the different types of solid materials and their properties. Commonly used techniques in Solid State research include X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, and thermal analysis.
Andreol263
What are the physics requeriments? and which book should i choose to begin to study?

Physics news on Phys.org
One could start with the book by Turton. It has a pleasant level. Unfortunately, it is not entirely accurate. I made a list:
http://blogg.lnu.se/fastatillstandsfysik/errors-in-the-physics-of-solids/

I've started reading using Ashcroft, is a good text for begginers? In the case of QM i think i get what is necessary for this book, but is statistical mechanics necessary?

What is Solid State?

Solid State refers to the physical state of matter in which particles are tightly packed and held together by strong intermolecular forces. It is characterized by a fixed shape and volume, and its molecules are not able to move freely.

What are the applications of Solid State?

Solid State has various applications in different fields such as electronics, energy storage, and material science. Some examples include transistors in electronic devices, batteries for energy storage, and semiconductors for solar panels.

What equipment do I need to begin working with Solid State?

To begin working with Solid State, you will need basic laboratory equipment such as a balance, glassware, and heating apparatus. You may also need specialized equipment like a spectrophotometer or X-ray diffractometer depending on your specific research goals.

What are the key concepts to understand in Solid State?

Some key concepts to understand in Solid State include crystal structure, lattice, and band theory. It is also important to understand the different types of solid materials such as metals, ceramics, and polymers, and their properties.

What techniques are commonly used in Solid State research?

Some common techniques used in Solid State research include X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, and thermal analysis. These techniques help to analyze the structure, composition, and properties of solid materials.