1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would the Free Body Diagram of a Trebuchet look like?

1. Oct 29, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown.
    What would the Free Body Diagram of a Trebuchet look like (FOR THE SYSTEM)? Would it be comparable to a see saw/ teeter totter? I am aware of some of the forces at play, but I feel there is some I am missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is not one - the trebuchet is a composite system so you need multiple fbd's to describe it.

4. Oct 31, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What Simon said.

To solve some systems you have to draw multiple FBDs (typically one per component part). Write equations for each and then solve a set of simultaneous equations.

I found an analysis here..
    http://www.real-world-physics-problems.com/trebuchet-physics.html

Note that it contains a lot of diagrams and not all are Free Body Diagrams. Typically they have "schematics" showing a few parts and how they are interconnected (definitions of angles etc) then they draw a "free body diagram" for the just the part they are analysing.

5. Oct 31, 2016 #4
    That to me is very hard to understand... Do you or anyone else know the basic forces that act on a trebuchet and in which direction in the system? i.e. force of gravity, force of friction, force of air resistance etc. I just need a simplistic (but not too simplistic) version to show to my class for a presentation.

6. Nov 2, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Since this is for your schoolwork project, how about you show some effort and make some sketches showing how a trebuchet works?

7. Nov 2, 2016 #6
    The teacher encouraged that we go to forums for help. I did attempt at free body diagrams for the trebuchet and every time I tried my teacher said I was wrong. He also said it was very complicated, past my grade level. His words were that the internet is a valuable resource and I should use it to find and learn about the free body diagram of a trebuchet. I just simply wanted to see one I could understand and explain to my class.

8. Nov 2, 2016 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Whelp, here at the PF, we help students learn how to learn. Maybe let your instructor hear that phrase -- might be good for them to think about it some.

So please show us all of your work. We cannot spoonfeed you solutions to your homeowrk. As long as we see a lot of effort on your part, we are happy to offer hints and tips and ask probing questions to help you figure out your homework.

Please post your work, or this thread will be closed. Thank you.

9. Nov 3, 2016 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the link I posted above is too difficult for you can I suggest you look at a Catapult or Mangonel that doesn't have a sling? or start by explaining a Catapult and then conclude by pointing out that a trebuchet is more complicated because it has a sling for which another FBD is needed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted